Raise UP’s quota of Haj pilgrims: AkhileshJune 21st, 2012 - 1:13 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 20 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Wednesday requested the central government to increase the quota of Haj pilgrims from the state.
In a letter written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Yadav requested that the state be allowed to send at least 32,532 people on Haj, maintaining the quota of 2011.
As per the nationwise quota allotted by Saudi Arabia, India sends the third largest contingent of Haj pilgrims, out of which a fourth go from Uttar Pradesh.
Akhilesh wrote letter that in 2011, the number of pilgrims from the state was 32,532.
This year the Haj Committee of India allocated a quota of 29,388 pilgrims, which is 3,144 less than last year, the chief minister said.
Uttar Pradesh Haj Committee Chairman and Minority Welfare Minister Mohd. Azam Khan had written to Haj Committee of India Chairman Mohsina Kidwai May 7, requesting her to maintain last year’s quota.
The state has received 36,754 applications for the pilgrimage this year, he said.
- UP lodges cases against 176 fraudulent Haj applicants - Jul 09, 2012
- UP wants centre to increase Haj quota - May 15, 2012
- UP to wrap up arrangements for Haj pilgrims by Sep 11 - Sep 03, 2012
- Expedite passports for Haj pilgrims, UP urges centre - Apr 11, 2012
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Delhi to seek hike in Haj quota - May 18, 2011
- Apex court seeks details of Haj quota - May 08, 2012
- After 4 years, fly Srinagar-Jeddah this Haj - Sep 12, 2012
- Akhilesh stakes claim to form government - Mar 10, 2012
- VIP quota for Haj pilgrimage cut by apex court (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Akhilesh writes to PM on power project delays - Aug 31, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh Haj committee to demand increase in quota - Sep 28, 2009
- Akhilesh seeks quick Nabard decisions to help development - Jun 07, 2012
- Akhilesh becomes UP chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: akhilesh, azam khan, central government, chief minister, committee chairman, contingent, haj committee of india, haj pilgrims, kidwai, lucknow, manmohan, manmohan singh, minority welfare, pilgrimage, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, quota, saudi arabia, yadav