Raids in Haryana to nab abductors of BJP leader’s familyApril 26th, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Panchkula (Haryana), April 26 (IANS) The Haryana police is conducting raids at various places to nab miscreants who waylaid family members of a district chief of the Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) and kept them hostage for nearly three hours here.
“We have got the CCTV images of the accused from the footage of the cameras installed at the toll plaza. We have set up special police teams that are raiding various locations in Himachal Pradesh and Punjab to arrest them,” Superintendent of Police in Panchkula Amitabh Dhillon told IANS Sunday.
“We are hopeful to arrest the accused at the earliest. There is a possibility that they might belong to some professional gang but right now we cannot disclose their identity as it could hamper our investigation.”
Son of BJP’s Panchkula district chief Shamlal Sachdev, Sanjiv Sachdev, who works in an export company in Delhi, was returning to his Panchkula home in his new Mercedes Benz car on Saturday. His mother and son were also accompanying him.
“We had just crossed Karnal, when a Honda CRV car speedily overtook us and stopped in front of our car. A well-dressed young man came out of CRV and told me that the rear tyre of my car was bubbling. When I stepped out to check the tyre, the man pointed a gun at me and told me to sit in his CRV,” Sanjiv told IANS Sunday.
“There were three more young men in the CRV and two of them sat in my car. They told us that they need Rs.10 lakh (Rs. 1 million) and threatened to kill my family. They drove the cars towards our house in Sector 12 Panchkula,” he said.
On reaching the house here, when Shamlal opened the door, the miscreants gained entry into the house at gunpoint. Sanjiv’s wife and daughter were also present in the house. The accused told everyone to assemble on the ground floor and tied the hands of all family members.
In the meantime, the tenant, Veetu, ran to the terrace of the house and raised an alarm. The miscreants fired two shots at her but she escaped unhurt miraculously.
Sensing trouble, the miscreants later fled from the house and took the Mercedes car, a laptop and Rs.20,000 cash with them. Later the car was recovered by police at Baddi town in Himachal Pradesh, around 35 km from here.
The Sachdev family members are still in shock.
Sumedh, son of Sanjiv said: “It was our worst nightmare. All of them were carrying guns. They were saying that they had murdered 10 people so they had no mercy for anyone. I even tried to call the police control room number but it was continuously engaged.”
- Carjacked and robbed at home - all at one go! - May 27, 2009
- Gang of highway robbers busted, large cache of arms recovered (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- High-profile gang of highway robbers busted in Haryana - Jun 06, 2009
- Twin murder: Couple held for hiring contract killers - Jun 19, 2011
- Inter-state gang of vehicle lifters busted, two held - Jul 11, 2010
- Haryana woman held for selling minor girl - Oct 31, 2010
- Chandigarh: City for 500,000 now has 800,000 vehicles - Jan 29, 2011
- Cops rescue abducted NRI in Kurukshetra - Apr 11, 2012
- Fake kidnapping drama: NRI, friend booked - Apr 25, 2011
- 13 of family held hostage as robbers ransack home (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Four arrested for murders in Kolkata - Sep 09, 2012
- Haryana constable tries to nab thief, loses life - Aug 24, 2010
- Punjab doctor held for murder attempt a year earlier - Sep 18, 2010
- Raids to nab teacher accused of harassing girls - Dec 06, 2010
- Man kills brother, sister-in-law over property dispute - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: dhillon, district chief, export company, gunpoint, haryana police, honda crv, lakh, mercedes benz, mercedes benz car, miscreants, mother and son, new mercedes, panchkula, police teams, rear tyre, rs 1, sachdev, sanjiv, special police, two shots