Rahul to tour Bundelkhand Jan 17-20January 13th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) As part of his poll campaign in Uttar Pradesh, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will tour the backward Bundelkhand region Jan 17-20, said sources.
This will be his first visit to the region after the central government announced a Rs.7,000 crore development package in 2009-10 fiscal for the region spread across Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
The package was announced after Gandhi petitioned Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Gandhi has been targeting Chief Minister Mayawati for poor implementation of the package and neglecting the plight of farmers of the drought hit area.
Recently, officials of the two states told the Planning Commission that fund utilisation under the package had improved from a poor 11 percent in June to around 30 percent in November 2011, but the panel was not satisfied with the performance.
The Planning Commission then asked the state government to tighten up monitoring of the package and involve locals in the process for greater transparency.
According to sources, Gandhi is expected to campaign in areas like Lalitpur, Garautha, Babina, Jhansi and Mauranipur.
The Bundelkhand region in Uttar Pradesh has 19 assembly constituencies.
Gandhi played a key role in making Jhansi MP Pradeep Jain Aditya the junior minister for rural development after the Congress won 22 Lok Sabha seats in the 2009 general elections.
- PM, Rahul slam Mayawati for poverty in Bundelkhand (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Plan panel steps in to tackle Bundelkhand's drought miseries - Sep 05, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh not implementing Bundelkhand package: Minister - Jan 04, 2011
- 'Montek satisfied with work in Bundelkhand' - Dec 05, 2011
- Rahul assures Bundelkhand people of central package - Dec 08, 2011
- Rahul detects fake fertilizer in Uttar Pradesh village - Oct 13, 2011
- Plan panel to tackle Bundelkhand drought - Sep 05, 2010
- Locals to be involved in Rs.7,000 crore Bundelkhand package - Jul 08, 2012
- Mayawati neglecting Bundelkhand: PM, Rahul - May 01, 2011
- Rahul, Uma take on each other in battleground UP - Jan 19, 2012
- Rahul's Bundelkhand package hits the bumpy road - Dec 11, 2011
- Rahul gives media and politicians a slip again (Lead) - Dec 21, 2009
- Jaiswal to head Congress's Uttar Pradesh poll panel - Oct 11, 2011
- Gadkari mum to query on Kushwaha's induction - Jan 05, 2012
- 39 percent turnout in fifth phase of UP poll (Second lead) - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: assembly constituencies, central government, chief minister, general elections, general secretary, jhansi, junior minister, lok sabha seats, madhya pradesh, manmohan, manmohan singh, Mayawati, planning commission, poll campaign, poor implementation, pradeep jain, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, uttar pradesh