Rahul praises Nitish Kumar, NaiduMay 5th, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Tuesday made overtures towards key National Democratic Alliance (NDA) ally Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and Third Front partner Telugu Desam Party (TDP).
Speaking at a press conference here on the last day of campaigning for the fourth leg of the Lok Sabha elections, Rahul Gandhi said: “Chandrababu Naidu did a reasonably good job.
“He focussed on Hyderabad, he went on the wrong bend perhaps, but I respect him,” he said about the former chief minister of Andhra Pradesh and the TDP chief.
“I am not saying that only Congress has leaders (who have done good work), there are leaders in the opposition…. Nitish (Kumar), for example,” he said, praising the Bihar chief minister.
Reacting to the comments, JD-U spokesperson Shivanand Tiwari told a television channel that “we are thankful that he appreciated the good work done by us but there is no question of joining the UPA (United Progressive Alliance)”.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which leads the NDA, said the Congress was desperate.
“It is a sign of desperation. They are wooing the Left despite it saying there is no question, they are wooing the JD-U despite it saying there is no question,” BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Rattled Lalu, Paswan dismiss Rahul's praise for Nitish - May 05, 2009
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP leader walks over to JD-U in Bihar - Jul 03, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- BJP, JD-U go different ways on next president (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- JD-U leader supports Mukherjee - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Sushma to attend Modi fast on final day Monday - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, campaigning, chief minister, desperation, general secretary, good job, jd, lok sabha elections, national democratic alliance, New Delhi, overtures, prasad, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, ravi shankar, shivanand, spokesperson, television channel, UPA