Rahul poised for a bigger role, says CongressNovember 9th, 2011 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) Against the backdrop of reports that Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi could be elevated to the position of working president, the party Tuesday said that he was set for a bigger role but the timing will be decided by party chief Sonia Gandhi.
Congress media department chief Janardan Dwivedi said there was no suspense that Rahul Gandhi would have a bigger role in the party but did not go into specifics.
“There is no suspense about it. He (Rahul Gandhi) has a role, which is increasing constantly. In natural course, his role will go on increasing. This is what Congressmen want and this is what in their opinion is natural,” Dwivedi said, adding that there was no doubt that Congressmen want Rahul Gandhi’s role to increase.
Dwivedi stressed that Sonia Gandhi “is here to lead the party and she will decide what to do and when”.
There has been speculation that the young leader could be made working president on Indira Gandhi’s birth anniversary Nov 19 or in the near future. Some reports have also suggested he could be made party president.
Dwivedi, however, refused to go either into the issue of timeline or the designation that Rahul Gandhi will assume.
“You just cannot speculate on a timeline. You should consider all other speculations as mere speculations for the time being”.
Asked about the possibility of Priyanka Gandhi Vadra joining politics, Dwivedi remarked: “They (the Gandhis) themselves decide who in the family has to do what and right now, Rahul Gandhi is in politics.”
He said party workers were keen that the young leader plays a decisive role.
Rahul Gandhi has been seen as future leader and potential prime minister by the party leaders.
Party general secretary Digvijay Singh had said last week that Rahul Gandhi now “has to look after us all.”
Speculation about the young leader being given bigger responsibility in the party gained momentum after Sonia Gandhi’s surgery in the US in August. Rahul Gandhi was among the group of four leaders tasked with the responsibility of looking after affairs of Congress in her absence.
Sonia Gandhi returned to the country in September and has since resumed her responsibilities.
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul's remark triggers speculation about ministerial role - Jul 20, 2012
- Rahul gets 'proactive', will be Congress no. 2 (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul ready for 'pro-active' role, to be No 2 in party (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul could play a role both in party and government, says Congress - Jul 21, 2012
- Clamour grows for larger role in Congress for Rahul (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- End of Youth Congress chapter for Rahul at November meet? - Nov 11, 2011
- Sonia goes abroad for check up - Sep 01, 2012
- Happy Rahul has agreed to proactive role: Digvijay - Jul 19, 2012
- Sonia goes abroad for 'routine checkup' - Feb 28, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi out of ICU - Aug 06, 2011
- Time for Rahul to assume bigger role, says Digvijay - Jul 16, 2012
- Rahul has to play a bigger role, says Digvijay - Nov 05, 2011
- Sonia recovering after surgery, makes some party appointments - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: backdrop, birth anniversary, congressmen, decisive role, department chief, digvijay singh, future leader, gandhis, general secretary, indira gandhi, no doubt, party chief, party leaders, party president, priyanka gandhi, rahul gandhi, sonia gandhi, specifics, speculations, young leader