Rahul Gandhi, YSR pray at Tirupati templeApril 17th, 2009 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 17 (IANS) Congress party general secretary Rahul Gandhi and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy prayed separately at the famous Lord Venkateshwara temple in Tirupati.
Gandhi, one of the key campaigners for the Congress party, made an unscheduled visit to the temple located on Tirumala Hills around midnight.
The young MP from Amethi reached the temple town Thursday night after addressing a series of election meetings in coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions.
Officials of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD), which manages the affairs of India’s richest temple, said Gandhi spent 20 minutes during his first visit to the shrine.
The Congress leader had a night halt in the temple town and left for campaigning Friday morning.
YSR, as the chief minister is popularly known, also prayed at the temple after seeing off Gandhi. He later resumed campaigning in Rayalaseema.
- Action sought against Jagan over Tirupati row, YSR party hits back (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Act sought against Jagan for flouting temple rules - May 03, 2012
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupati temple for team's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Tirupati temple to decide on Janardhana Reddy's offering - Sep 09, 2011
- Tirumala temple shut for lunar eclipse - Jun 16, 2011
- Rajapaksa prays for team at Tirupati, leaves for Mumbai - Apr 02, 2011
- TTD to conduct mass marriages in US - Apr 04, 2012
- Manmohan Singh offers prayers at Tirupati temple - Sep 01, 2010
- Panel moots upping security for Tirupati jewels - Jun 18, 2010
- 10 arrested near Tirumala temple - Jul 08, 2011
- President offers prayers at Tirupati - Jul 07, 2011
- President Mukherjee's first official visit to Chennai, Tiruputi - Sep 07, 2012
- CBI questions Andhra's former chief secretary - Feb 03, 2012
- Tirupati temple deposits 1,175 kg gold with SBI - Feb 11, 2011
- Rayalaseema - battleground for Andhra chief ministerial candidates - Apr 19, 2009
Tags: amethi, andhra pradesh chief, campaigners, chief minister, congress leader, congress party, election meetings, friday morning, general secretary, hyderabad, India, lord venkateshwara, mp, rahul gandhi, temple town, thursday night, tirupati devasthanam, tirupati temple, ttd, venkateshwara temple