Rahul Gandhi visits drought-hit Maharashtra districtApril 28th, 2012 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 28 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi arrived at Satara district Saturday morning for a visit to drought-hit areas there, an official said.
Accompanied by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and other senior ministers, Gandhi arrived from Mumbai in a helicopter. Satara is around 250 km south-east of the country’s commercial capital.
Shortly after landing, Gandhi proceeded to the Zalshi Talao, which is one of the water sources in the district.
Last month, Chavan had visited the drought-hit areas and taken stock of the grim situation in Satara, which is his home district.
Gandhi is scheduled to travel to nearby Bijwadi to take a look at state government sponsored employment guarantee schemes being implemented there among the drought-affected people of Satara.
He will follow it up with a visit to the Pangari fodder depot, one of the important ones in the district which supplies fodder to a large cattle population in the region.
Ironically, Satara is home to the biggest water supply project of Maharashtra, the Koyna Dam. But, barely a few kilometres away, there is acute scarcity of water virtually eight months in a year.
Gandhi arrived on a two-day visit to Maharashtra Friday morning and spent the day meeting party activists to assess the Congress strengths and weaknesses in the key state ruled by the party.
- Rahul Gandhi visits drought-hit Maharashtra district (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Give us water, Maharashtra villagers tell Rahul (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Third Gandhi visits Maharashtra, but drought continues... - Apr 28, 2012
- Maharashtra drought: Governor's help sought - Apr 20, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi to visit drought-hit areas in Maharashtra - Apr 26, 2012
- Maharashtra declares 999 villages water deficient - Sep 28, 2011
- Maharashtra CM rushes Delhi to seek central aid - May 08, 2012
- Inadequate rains, scarcity, worry Maharashtra legislators - Jul 11, 2012
- Pawar again criticises Maharashtra governor - Apr 29, 2012
- Seismic centre to come up at Satara - May 24, 2012
- Karnataka geared to meet drought, says Gowda - Oct 08, 2011
- Rahul to visit Maharashtra, Amethi (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- 'Lake-tapping' at Koyna to hike power supply (With Images) - Apr 25, 2012
- Jharkhand's drought-hit villagers sell cattle due to scarcity of fodder - Sep 24, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi assesses Congress' strength in Maharashtra - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: chavan, chief minister, drought, eight months, fodder, friday morning, general secretary, helicopter, kilometres, koyna dam, party activists, rahul gandhi, satara district, saturday morning, scarcity of water, sponsored employment, state government, strengths and weaknesses, water sources, water supply project