Rahul Gandhi on three-day tour of VidarbhaJuly 18th, 2008 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
Nagpur, July 18 (IANS) Congress MP and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi arrived here Friday on a three-day tour of Maharashtra’s Vidarbha region, which witnessed a phenomenally high incidence of farmers’ suicides in the last three years and is currently reeling under a month-long dry spell. Immediately after landing at Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport here at 7.30 a.m., the young Congress leader, on the second leg of his “Discovery of India” tour of the country’s hinterland, drove straight to Yavatmal, dubbed as the suicide capital of India.
Sources said Gandhi will steer clear of political crowds and bureaucrats as far as possible during the first two days of his tour. Police officers who briefed a Special Protection Group team at the airport Thursday night also confirmed this to IANS.
During his tour, Gandhi is slated to visit late social worker Baba Amte’s Anandvan leper-rehabilitation centre at Warora, Mahatma Gandhi’s Sewagram ashram in Wardha and Ambedkar’s Deeksha Bhoomi in Nagpur.
According to sources, Gandhi will visit the bereaved families of some farmers in Yavatmal district who ended their lives during the acute agrarian crisis and head for Anandvan in Chandrapur district Saturday morning after an overnight stay at Yavatmal.
Reaching Sewagram Saturday evening, he will spend the night in the ashram and arrive in Nagpur Sunday morning.
In Nagpur, the All India Congress Committee general secretary, who is accompanied by the party in-charge of Maharashtra Margaret Alva, will address a workers’ rally of the Youth Congress and National Students’ Union of India after visiting Deeksha Boomi, where Ambedkar embraced Buddhism in 1956.
- Never lose hope; never stop dreaming: Rahul tells rural youth - Jul 18, 2008
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Food security bill to be brought soon: Sonia Gandhi - Oct 15, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi to begin Vidarbha tour from today - Jul 18, 2008
- Rahul Gandhi to begin Vidarbha tour from tomorrow - Jul 17, 2008
- 3 more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - May 22, 2012
- Baba Amte's widow dies - Jul 09, 2011
- Vidharba woman who inspired Rahul Gandhi gives BJP the slip - Oct 19, 2011
- Hazare to start Maharashtra tour for Lokayukta bill - Apr 30, 2012
- Farmers' widows hold silent protest at Rahul rally - Oct 09, 2009
- As Rahul spoke, farmer suicides continued in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2010
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Gandhi's glasses missing from Wardha ashram, probe ordered (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Farm widows want to attend lavish wedding of Gadkari's son - Nov 29, 2010
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: amte, bereaved families, bhoomi, boomi, capital of india, chandrapur, congress leader, deeksha, discovery of india, dr babasaheb ambedkar, india congress committee, india tour, mahatma gandhi, nagpur, national students, rahul gandhi, special protection group, vidarbha region, wardha, youth congress