Rahul Gandhi meets assaulted Uttar Pradesh girlJune 27th, 2011 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Monday met at a hospital here a Dalit girl who was blinded by her assailants after she resisted rape in Uttar Pradesh, officials said.
Gandhi arrived at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where the girl has been shifted for treatment, at 10.45 a.m. and spoke to her as well as her family members.
According to official sources, Gandhi also interacted with the team of doctors treating the girl. The doctors told him that the girl has lost vision in one eye and efforts are on to improve the sight in the other.
Rahul Gandhi tried to motivate the young victim and expressed his sympathies.
The 14-year-old girl was attacked by two boys June 14 in Gursahaiganj in Kannauj district, about 180 km from Lucknow.
The two boys, both high school students, stalked her near a field and assaulted her when she resisted rape. Her screams brought her parents to her rescue, but the boys ran away.
- Rahul Gandhi meets assaulted Uttar Pradesh girl (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Minor girl blinded with knife in UP - Jun 19, 2011
- Child rights panel mulls action on girl's blinding - Jun 19, 2011
- Mayawati government is nervous: Congress - Jun 27, 2011
- Congress slams Mayawati over attack on minor girl - Jun 19, 2011
- Rahul for CBI probe into girl's murder in police station (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Rahul meets family of murdered girl in Uttar Pradesh village (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Digvijay slams Mayawati government - Jun 20, 2011
- Four more rape cases, attack on women reported in UP - Jun 20, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Child rights body to visit Lucknow - Jun 24, 2011
- Congress workers clash with UP Police during Rahul Gandhi's visit - Feb 07, 2011
- Rahul meets family of girl found dead in police station - Jun 30, 2011
- BSP flays Rahul's 'double standards' - Jun 30, 2011
- Congress insists on CBI probe into UP girl's murder - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, assailants, congress, doctors, family members, general secretary, high school students, india institute, june 14, june 27, New Delhi, old girl, parents, rahul gandhi, rape, sympathies, two boys