Rahul Gandhi faces protests in AllahabadJanuary 10th, 2011 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Allahabad, Jan 10 (IANS) Activists of the Samajwadi Party’s student wing Monday held protests against Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi as he arrived here to interact with students at an educational institute.Raising slogans like “Go back Rahul” and “We don’t want Rahul here”, several members of the Samajwadi Chhatra Sabha waived black flags at Gandhi and even tried to stop his cavalcade in Dhoomanganj area. They attacked Gandhi for “not being serious towards restoration of students’ union elections in central universities in Uttar Pradesh”.
“It all happened when he (Gandhi) was on his way to the Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology to interact with the students,” a local Congress party official told reporters.
“Special Protection Group (SPG) officials, who accompanied the Congress general secretary, were quick to act… They took control of the situation after which Rahul Gandhi proceeded towards his destination,” he added.
Just before Gandhi’s arrival, activists of SP also came to blows with Congress workers in front of the institute’s gate. Police resorted to mild force to disperse the members of the two outfits.
The clash between activists of the two political outfits erupted when SP workers refused to end their agitation against Gandhi’s visit to Allahabad, police said.
“He (Gandhi) is just not serious for restoration of students’ union polls… He had not made any efforts in this regard. So, he should not project himself as a youth leader,” said an activist of Samajwadi Chhatra Sabha.
According to police, around 40-50 youth were detained for creating trouble during Gandhi’s visit.
“To my knowledge, youth waived black flags and indulged in sloganeering as Rahul Gandhi arrived here and were not able to stop the cavalcade of the Congress general secretary,” DIG Allahabad Raj Kumar told IANS.
- Join politics to cleanse it, Rahul tells students (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2011
- Samajwadi Party workers block Gandhi's cavalcade in Allahabad - Jan 10, 2011
- Samajwadi Party workers create ruckus at Rahul's programme - Nov 26, 2011
- Centre takes up Rahul Gandhi's security breach issue with UP Govt. - Jan 14, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi faces protests in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 11, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi arrives in Jammu - Sep 27, 2011
- Rahul asks Lucknow students to join politics - Jan 11, 2011
- SP workers detained while protesting against Rahul - Nov 14, 2011
- Congress ministers rough up Samajwadi Party men at Rahul rally - Nov 14, 2011
- Join politics to develop India, Rahul Gandhi urges BHU students - Jan 10, 2011
- Four Congress leaders booked for thrashing anti-Rahul protesters - Nov 16, 2011
- Rahul justifies 'begging' remark - Nov 22, 2011
- Court stays arrest of Uttar Pradesh Congress leaders - Nov 24, 2011
- Agra students quiz Rahul Gandhi on price rise - Jan 11, 2011
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: activists, agitation, black flags, cavalcade, congress party, congress workers, educational institute, general secretary, motilal nehru national institute of technology, national institute of technology, rahul gandhi, raj kumar, sabha, Samajwadi Party, slogans, special protection group, students union, union elections, union polls, youth leader