Rahul for Amarinder as Punjab chief ministerJanuary 25th, 2012 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Tarn Taran/Ferozepur (Punjab), Jan 25 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Wednesday said Amarinder Singh will be the chief minister of Punjab if the Congress is voted to power in the Jan 30 elections to the 117-seat assembly in the state.
Addressing political rallies at Chabhal area of Tarn Taran district and later at Ferozepur town, the young Gandhi scion ended the speculation on who would be the next chief minister if the Congress comes back to power.
Amarinder Singh, the Punjab Congress president, is a former chief minister.
Arriving almost two hours behind the scheduled time of his rallies at both the venues, Rahul took a dig at leaders of the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) combine for “mismanaging the state” in the last five years.
“These leaders tell you that Punjab is shining. They never meet the common people, sit or eat with them. They just see the shine from their cosy comfort,” he said in Hindi.
He said the Akali Dal-BJP government had promoted rampant corruption and scuttled various projects through which the central government wanted development funds to come to Punjab.
- Advani, Rahul, Rajnath, Hema descend upon Punjab - Jan 25, 2012
- Rebel activities helping Akali-BJP government: Amarinder - Sep 02, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal leads with biggest margin - Mar 06, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Amarinder's return to Punjab is news! (Punjab Newsletter) - Aug 31, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP kick off Punjab poll campaign - Dec 18, 2011
- Congress embarrassed after drubbing by Akalis (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 15, 2012
- Triangular contest on cards in most Punjab seats - Dec 25, 2011
- In Badal's 'Ram Rajya', no place for political vendetta (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 30, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP government has pushed Punjab back: Sonia - Jan 24, 2012
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Akali Dal ahead in Punjab - Mar 06, 2012
- Punjab parties welcome Jan 30 assembly poll announcement - Dec 24, 2011
- It's SAD! Seven Punjab ministers, speaker trounced - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: amarinder singh, central government, chief minister of punjab, common people, congress president, cosy comfort, elections, ferozepur, general secretary, political rallies, rahul gandhi, rampant corruption, scion, seat assembly, speculation