Rahul faces hostility from Amethi college girlsSeptember 13th, 2012 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 13 (IANS) Congress MP Rahul Gandhi faced hostile college girl students on the first day of his two-day visit to his parliamentary constituency Amethi Thursday.
Angry over the lack of basic amenities in their college, scores of girls from the Rajkiya Balika Inter College blocked the road which Gandhi was to take on his way to inaugurate a bank branch.
When the local intelligence unit alerted the Special Protection Group (SPG), Gandhi’s cavalcade was diverted to another route.
The students then raised anti-Rahul Gandhi slogans and slammed him for not meeting them and listening to their problems.
Later, at a “Jila Satarkta and Nigrani” meeting, Gandhi aired his displeasure over the tardy progress in the implementation of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA) as well as the state of roads in the town.
The Congress general secretary told officials at the meeting that the condition of roads was pathetic and sought their immediate intervention to improve their condition.
When problems in the implemntation of MNREGA were brought to his notice, he asked officials to rectify the mistakes and ensure that the benefits of the flagship scheme of the UPA reached the right people.
After the three-hour meeting, the Congress leader inaugurated a branch of UCO bank and distributed the Kisan Credit Card to 100 farmers.
While the media hoped that Gandhi would speak on the recent attacks on him by opposition parties, Gandhi spoke only on the theme of the events he attended.
He later retired for the day at the Munshiganj guest house.
He will attend a bicycle distribution function for the specially challenged at Parsedpur Friday and address party workers before returning to New Delhi, a Congress leader told IANS.
- Rahul to visit Amethi - Sep 12, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi faces protests in Allahabad - Jan 10, 2011
- Youth held with revolver at Rahul's rally - Oct 20, 2011
- Rahul halts at Rampur village - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi visiting Amethi on three-day tour - Aug 31, 2010
- Rahul upsets Shillong journalists (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Man with revolver detained in Rahul's vicinity - Jul 07, 2011
- I am with you, Rahul tells farmers in Mayawati land (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi raps officials for delay in Amethi project - Jan 28, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi indicates major shakeup in Uttar Pradesh Congress - May 02, 2012
- Driving brother Rahul - Priyanka shows how (Lead) - Nov 20, 2009
- Visva-Bharati gears up to receive another Nehru-Gandhi scion - Sep 13, 2010
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh needs Congress for development: Rahul - Aug 18, 2009
- Hundreds attend Rahul's janata darbar in Amethi - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: cavalcade, college girl, college girls, college scores, congress leader, displeasure, distribution function, general secretary, girl students, hostility, intelligence unit, inter college, kisan credit card, mahatma gandhi, opposition parties, parliamentary constituency, rahul gandhi, special protection group, tardy progress, UPA