Rahul did not violate model code: poll panelApril 7th, 2009 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 7 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi did not violate the model code of conduct while filing his nomination for the Amethi Lok Sabha constituency, the Election Commission said Tuesday after an inquiry.
“We have seen the (video) footage and found that there were only five people with Rahul Gandhi when he filed his nomination,” Deputy Election Commissioner R. Balakrishnan told reporters here.
Gandhi had filed his nomination papers for Amethi, a constituency he represents, from Sultanpur Saturday.
Following a complaint that he had violated the model code of conduct as he had more than five people accompanying him at the time, the Election Commission had sought an inquiry report from the district election officer of Sultanpur.
The poll panel also ordered the transfer of Uttar Pradesh Principal Secretary (Home) Fateh Bahadur Singh on charges of dereliction of duty.
“We had received complaints against him and have asked the Uttar Pradesh government to replace him. We have asked the state government to send a panel of three names for his replacement,” Balakrishnan added.
The commission further asked the Gujarat government to shift the district collector of Amreli following a complaint from a political party.
Asked about a controversial speech made by Railways Minister Lalu Prasad, Balakrishnan said: “A case has been registered on the directions of the sub-divisional magistrate of Kishangarh. We have also sought a report and CD of his speech from the chief election officer of Bihar.”
- Poll panel asks Verma to explain 'wilfull' sub-quota remark (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Poll panel censures Khurshid for quota announcement (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Have not violated poll code, says Khurshid - Jan 11, 2012
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi offers to resign over UP results (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- Quota remarks: Poll panel notice to Verma, minister unfazed (Second Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi meets Sonia, offers to quit - Mar 09, 2012
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Priyanka open to campaigning, 'anything to help' Rahul - Jan 17, 2012
- FIR against Jharkhand speaker for poll violations - May 25, 2012
- Congress trailing in Rae Bareli - Mar 06, 2012
- BSP government not serious on development: Rahul Gandhi - Feb 08, 2011
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi indicates major shakeup in Uttar Pradesh Congress - May 02, 2012
- Mayawati behind FIR against Rahul: Congress - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: amethi, amreli, bahadur singh, balakrishnan, chief election officer, controversial speech, dereliction of duty, district election, election commissioner, gujarat government, inquiry report, kishangarh, lalu prasad, Lok Sabha, model code, nomination papers, rahul gandhi, sabha constituency, sultanpur, uttar pradesh government