Rahul confident of Left support to ManmohanMay 5th, 2009 - 1:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Tuesday said his party had ideological differences with the Left parties but was confident of their support to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the post poll scenario.
Stating that the “field is open” for post-poll alliances, Rahul Gandhi said: “We will do better than last time. And I am confident that the Left will support Manmohan Singh”.
He added that the Congress too would support the Left if such a scenario were to unfold.
“If the Left gets 180-190 seats, we will support them. If they achieve that, then I will be the first one to say that we will support them.”
Though the Congress had differences with the Left there were some meeting points, he said at a press conference here.
“I will speak personally. I do say that the Left has old ideas. Left’s views towards something like the nuclear deal is 20-30 years old. On a lot of counts they have to accept that the world has changed and slowly they will be forced to accept that. We feel that there are ideological differences between Congress and the Left,” Rahul Gandhi said.
“They (Left) say that they don’t need integration. They support us in the Rozgaar Yojana, but the fundamental question is- where does the money for the Yojana come from? It comes from the nine percent growth.
“On a lot of concepts we agree with the Left. They say education and health is important and the poor needs to br looked after and we agree with that,” he said.
- Mamata warns Congress to choose between TMC or Left - May 06, 2009
- Please all Rahul reaches out to Left, JD-U and TDP (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Left will not support Congress, says AB Bardhan - May 05, 2009
- Rahul Gandhi does not rule out post poll ties with the Left - May 05, 2009
- Congress in damage control mode over Mamata - May 06, 2009
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Khurshid's comments on Rahul are fodder for BJP, Left (Intro Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Left rejects Congress option - May 05, 2009
- Sonia says only Rahul to decide on his larger role (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Rahul gets 'proactive', will be Congress no. 2 (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Who'll lead Congress in UP? Not Rahul, says party - Feb 08, 2012
- Alliance with Congress not possible, says Akhilesh - Feb 29, 2012
- Clamour grows for larger role in Congress for Rahul (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Trinamool-Congress tie-up in troubled waters - May 06, 2009
- Rahul says he's ready for 'more proactive role' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: alliances, better than last time, congress, education, fundamental question, general secretary, Health Science, ideological differences, left parties, manmohan, manmohan singh, money, New Delhi, nuclear deal, post poll, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, yojana