Rahul bonds with students at alma mater St. Stephen’sNovember 11th, 2008 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 11 (IANS) Less than a month after he ruffled feathers by saying that questions were not encouraged in St. Stephen’s College, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Tuesday visited his alma mater to a warm welcome.Gandhi was welcomed by a thunderous applause and the girls jostled with each other for photo ops with the “good looking” young Congress MP.
During the visit to the college, he spoke of the need for youth to be more active in the political process saying “they being a major part of the Indian population should take the lead”.
Students that attended the session, closed to outsiders, said that Gandhi insisted that there were avenues to enter politics, once “one sheds all fears and inhibitions before stepping into the political arena”.
To a question by a student as to how one can enter politics without political contacts and backing, Gandhi reportedly said he had the political backing and advantage and did not know the other way.
The son of Congress President Sonia Gandhi in his speech also emphasized the need for good and higher education.
Less than a month ago, after comments from Gandhi that his questions “were looked down upon”, the college authorities had dismissed his remarks saying that his personal experience could not be generalised and that “he hardly participated in any discussion forums during his year-long stay”.
Gandhi had attended a year in the St. Stephens College till 1990 following which he studied at Harvard and Cambridge University.
“He was given a warm welcome. He spoke well, but many expected more in his speech,” said Ajitesh Kir, a first-year student of history honours in the college.
Another student found him “not impressive” and on the condition of anonymity said: “He harped on the same note over and over - that one should not be scared. It seemed more like a moral lecture.”
- Sandeep Dikshit barred from using St. Stephen's logo (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit in St. Stephen's association soup - Sep 07, 2011
- Unmukt hopes for an amicable solution with St. Stephen's - Aug 31, 2012
- St. Stephen's moves court against Sandeep Dikshit's society - Sep 24, 2011
- Rahul pitches for Manmohan as PM candidate - Sep 21, 2011
- Rahul will need to deliver - and fast (Comment) - Jul 21, 2012
- Nepal president to visit alma mater in Chandigarh - Jan 17, 2011
- Join politics to cleanse it, Rahul tells students (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2011
- Nepal's strong Chandigarh connections - Aug 30, 2011
- Students vandalise vehicles in Dhaka - Jul 08, 2012
- Sports minister to bat for Unmukt at Delhi University (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Bengal students ragged on Facebook - Aug 03, 2011
- End of Youth Congress chapter for Rahul at November meet? - Nov 11, 2011
- Is Advani suffering from amnesia, asks Digvijay - Nov 06, 2011
- Rahul asks Lucknow students to join politics - Jan 11, 2011