Rahul attacks BJP for not backing statutory status to LokpalDecember 30th, 2011 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Saharanpur, Dec 30 (IANS) Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Friday launched a scathing attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for not supporting constitutional status to the Lokpal and said he would continue to fight till this is realised.
Addressing a well attended public meeting here Friday afternoon, Rahul Gandhi said when mediapersons asked the BJP leadership the reason for opposing constitutional status to the Lokpal, they replied they did so as it was Rahul Gandhi’s dream.
“I would like to tell them that it is not my dream but the dream of millions of my countrymen, and I shall continue to fight till it is realised,” asserted Rahul.
He also targetted Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, saying if Mulayam was a real well wisher of the Muslim community he would have granted reservation for the community in jobs when he was the chief minister.
Training his guns on Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati, the Congress general secretary said, “This magical elephant sitting in Lucknow has devoured all central funds released for various schemes including health, MGNERGS, roads and education.”
He said that if one goes to states ruled by the Congress, it was pretty evident from the overall development in various spheres that the central funds were being properly utilised. “But here in UP, it is a sad story because all the money sent by the centre for the uplift of poor is being swindled left, right and centre by the BSP government.”
Referring to the Rs.6,000 crore central package for weavers of Uttar Pradesh, Rahul said the delegation of weavers who had come to meet him had pointed out that if the funds were released to the state government, they would not get a single penny.
“This was probably the sole reason that arrangements were made by the centre to remit the amount directly in the bank accounts of the weavers,” the Congress general secretary said.
Besides Rahul Gandhi, prominent amongst those who addressed the rally were AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh, who is also in charge of the party’s affairs in Uttar Pradesh, and Rashid Masood who had recently switched loyalties from the Samajwadi Party to join the Congress.
- BSP swindling central funds: Rahul Gandhi - Dec 26, 2011
- After BSP, Rahul Gandhi targets BJP - Dec 29, 2011
- BJP on ventilator in Uttar Pradesh: Rahul Gandhi - Nov 25, 2011
- Show courage for strong Lokpal bill: Hazare to PM (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Rahul spares none -- Mayawati, Mulayam, BJP - Feb 23, 2012
- It will be Rahul vs Modi in 2014: Beni Prasad Verma - Aug 20, 2012
- Not obsessed to be PM, Congress solid in UP: Rahul (Second Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Not obsessed with PM's post, Congress solid in UP: Rahul (Third Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Not obsessed with PM's job: Rahul Gandhi - Feb 06, 2012
- Rahul attacks Mayawati government over health funds - Jul 21, 2011
- BJP dares PM to take action against Mayawati government - May 01, 2011
- BJP blocked strong Lokpal: Rahul Gandhi - Dec 28, 2011
- Rahul to visit Uttar Pradesh - Jul 20, 2011
- By night, Lokpal's fate was sealed - Dec 30, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi invites weavers' team to Delhi - Jul 22, 2011
Tags: bank accounts, bharatiya janata party, bjp leadership, chief minister, constitutional status, countrymen, friday afternoon, general secretary, muslim community, party chief, rahul gandhi, rs 6, sad story, scathing attack, sole reason, statutory status, uplift, weavers, well wisher, yadav