Rahul asks PM to introduce land acquisition billAugust 25th, 2011 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) A group of Congress MPs, led by party general secretary Rahul Gandhi, met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday to seek the introduction of the land acquisition bill in parliament in the monsoon session and its passage in the winter session.
The group, comprising 16 MPs, submitted a memorandum to the prime minister here in which they made the demand.
The memorandum noted that the rural development ministry had circulated a draft Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill for public debate as well as for inter-ministerial consultations.
“We welcome this bill and believe it is in keeping with the interests of the people of India and the priorities and policies of the Congress party.
“We understand that this bill has received broad support from across a wide cross-section of society. We urge that this bill be introduced in this monsoon session of parliament itself,” the memorandum released here said.
The memorandum also noted that after the bill is introduced, it will, of course, be referred to the standing committee, at which time there will be more opportunities for the public to send in their comments and suggestions.
“We urge that the government take steps to ensure that the bill may be brought for debate and passage in the winter session of parliament,” it added.
The memorandum has been signed by MPs Arun Yadav, Bhakta Charan Das, Pradeep Majhi, Thokchom Meinya, Harish Choudhary, Sachin Pilot, Uday Pratap Singh, Deepender Hooda, Vikrambhai Madam, Raghuvir Singh Meena, P.T. Thomas, Ravneer Singh Bittu, R. Dhruvanarayana, Raj Babbar and Anantha Vekatarami Reddy, apart from Rahul Gandhi.
- Legislative agenda for parliament's monsoon session (With curtain raiser) - Aug 06, 2012
- Land acquisition bill introduced in parliament - Sep 07, 2011
- None of promised four anti-graft bills passed - Dec 30, 2011
- Key bills pile up as BJP stalls parliament - Aug 26, 2012
- Performance of young MPs sub-par in monsoon session - Sep 11, 2011
- Cabinet clears land acquisition bill; to be introduced Wednesday - Sep 06, 2011
- Chidambaram's junior tables bill amid opposition boycott - Dec 12, 2011
- Reconvene parliament for Lokpal bill, BJP tells Patil (Fourth Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- PM hopes for consensus on Lokpal bill (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- BSP, BJP term Rahul's march 'political gimmick' - Jul 05, 2011
- Government hopeful of consensus on Lokpal at all-party meet - Mar 22, 2012
- Lokpal, land bills likely to be introduced in monsoon session - Jul 25, 2011
- Lokpal bill with PM in but CBI out approved, Hazare furious (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- No certainty about Lokpal bill in monsoon session, says Bansal (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government: PM (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: anantha, broad support, congress mps, congress party, development ministry, hooda, land acquisition, manmohan, manmohan singh, meena, ministerial consultations, monsoon session, pratap singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, raj babbar, sachin pilot, t thomas, winter session