Rahm Emanuel departs as White House Chief of StaffOctober 2nd, 2010 - 12:15 am ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) – Rahm Emanuel on Friday officially announced his departure as White House Chief of Staff while President Barack Obama appoints a temporary chief of staff.
Emanuel’s announcement was not a surprise as the information regarding his exit as chief of staff was leaked on Thursday. Obama joked that the announcement was “the least suspenseful announcement of all time.”
The former Chief of Staff will now run for mayor of Chicago, a position held by Obama prior to becoming the United States head of state. In his place, Pete Rouse was named as temporary Chief of Staff.
Emanuel has a reputation for bluntness and brashness, and is a native to Chicago, and represented Illinois’ 5th district in Congress for six years before becoming President Obama’s Chief of Staff. He expressed his interest in becoming Chicago’s mayor in the past.
“One day I would like to run for mayor of the city of Chicago,” Emanuel said earlier in the year. “That’s always been an aspiration of mine even when I was in the House of Representatives.”
- Rahm Emanuel Resigns As Chief Of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- Illinois SC allows Rahm Emanuel to run for Chicago's Mayor post - Jan 28, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel ruled ineligible for appearing on mayor's ballot by Illinois appeals court - Jan 25, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel Desires To Occupy The Post Of The Chicago Mayor - Apr 21, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel Allowed To Run For Mayor Finally - Jan 28, 2011
- Democratic Supreme Court puts Rahm Emanuel Back on Mayor Ballot - Jan 26, 2011
- Illinois Appellate Court Bars Rahm Emanuel From Contesting In Elections For Mayor - Jan 25, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel Reveals His Political Aspirations - Apr 21, 2010
- US court disqualifies Emanuel from contesting Chicago's mayor post over residency issues - Jan 25, 2011
- Indian-American on panel to make Chicago immigrant friendly - Aug 18, 2012
- Press Secretary Gibbs to leave White House - Jan 06, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel wants to become the Mayor of Chicago - Apr 21, 2010
- Ex-aide Obama wins Chicago mayoral vote - Feb 23, 2011
- Obama faces uphill re-election climb, says ex-aide - Oct 10, 2011
- Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley won't run for the re-election - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: aspiration, barack obama, bno, brashness, chief of staff, city of chicago, congress, head of state, house of representatives, mayor of chicago, rahm emanuel, reputation, six years, surprise, suspenseful, washington d c, white house, white house chief of staff