Rahm Emanuel Allowed To Run For Mayor FinallyJanuary 28th, 2011 - 7:14 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Jan 28, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The former chief of staff of US president Barack Obama, namely Rahm Emanuel has been allowed to run for the post of Chicago mayor by the Supreme Court of Illinois. The development follows a prolonged legal battle. The Illinois Appellate Court ruled earlier that he cannot be allowed owing to residency requirements related causes. He was staying in Washington DC for a period of two years for his role in the Obama administration and hence did not stay in Chicago for a year. As per the 1871 state law, the candidates running for the post of Mayor are required to stay in the city at least for a year prior to the elections. He recently took part in a debate on with the other Mayoral contenders.
Even when the lower court had put a ban on his prospects he did not refrain from campaigning. Rahm Emanuel said in his defense that retained his residency as he was clear about returning to Chicago after his tenure at Obama administration. He was born and brought up in Chicago and bought a home in 1998. When her went to Washington to work for the Obama government in 2009 he left his family back in the city. In June 2009 his family members went to join him in the capital and he rented out the home in Chicago.
The higher court which ruled in his favor said on the verdict “The board determined that, in this situation, the rental did not show abandonment of the residence. This conclusion was well supported by the evidence”. He will have to contend for the post with three other candidates.
- Illinois SC allows Rahm Emanuel to run for Chicago's Mayor post - Jan 28, 2011
- Democratic Supreme Court puts Rahm Emanuel Back on Mayor Ballot - Jan 26, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel ruled ineligible for appearing on mayor's ballot by Illinois appeals court - Jan 25, 2011
- Illinois Appellate Court Bars Rahm Emanuel From Contesting In Elections For Mayor - Jan 25, 2011
- US court disqualifies Emanuel from contesting Chicago's mayor post over residency issues - Jan 25, 2011
- Ex-aide Obama wins Chicago mayoral vote - Feb 23, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel Desires To Occupy The Post Of The Chicago Mayor - Apr 21, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel departs as White House Chief of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel Resigns As Chief Of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel wants to become the Mayor of Chicago - Apr 21, 2010
- Indian-American on panel to make Chicago immigrant friendly - Aug 18, 2012
- Rahm Emanuel Reveals His Political Aspirations - Apr 21, 2010
- Obama faces uphill re-election climb, says ex-aide - Oct 10, 2011
- Mayor Daley Calls It Quits After 20 Years - Sep 08, 2010
- Rahm Emanuel wins Chicago Mayor bid with over 50 percent votes - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: abandonment, barack obama, chicago mayor, chief of staff, conclusion, contenders, elections, family members, illinois appellate court, jan 28, prospects, rahm emanuel, supreme court, tenure, washington dc