R-Day celebrated in Mumbai amidst tight securityJanuary 26th, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 26 (IANS) Maharashtra Governor S.C. Jamir unfurled the National Flag Monday and paid tribute to the martyrs and victims of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks during India’s 60th Republic Day celebrations at the historic Shivaji Park here.Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, his cabinet colleagues, top officials from the police and armed forces, diplomats, invitees and members of the public were present on the occasion.
Mumbai was thrown under a security blanket Sunday to ensure peaceful and safe Republic Day celebrations. Posses of armed policemen were on guard at vantage points, roads, railway stations and important public and private venues.
Despite the traumatic events of Nov 26, 2008, Mumbaikars, especially youth and students, came out in large numbers to celebrate Republic Day.
Jamir Sunday honoured 111 policemen with various medals for bravery in the line of duty. Rajendra Kale and late Pradeep Nimbal were honoured with gallantry medals, 10 policemen were awarded the President’s Police Medals while the rest were awarded Police Medals for meritorious services last year.
Elsewhere in the city and across the state, Republic Day was celebrated with pomp and gaiety. The national anthem was sung and the tricolour was unfurled in all government buildings, state, district and local administration offices, educational institutions and housing complexes.
At several public venues where Republic Day functions were held, children were dressed as Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru and other leaders of the freedom struggle and carried small flags amidst chants of “Jai Hind, Jai Maharashtra”.
- Uttar Pradesh celebrates R-Day with patriotic zeal - Jan 26, 2011
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- President's police medals given away - Dec 24, 2011
- UP celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Pomp, pageantry mark Republic Day in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- 111 personnel get president's police medal - Jan 25, 2012
- Low key I-Day celebrations in Maharashtra - Aug 15, 2012
- India celebrates 62nd R'Day, military might on show (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- Mumbai CBI sleuth awarded Police Medal - Jan 26, 2012
- Haryana celebrates Republic Day with fanfare - Jan 26, 2011
- Gaiety, patriotic fervour mark I-Day in Karnataka - Aug 15, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Patriotic fervour marks I-Day celebrations in Andhra - Aug 15, 2012
- Protests in Telangana mark Andhra Pradesh formation day - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: administration offices, cabinet colleagues, educational institutions, freedom struggle, gaiety, gallantry medals, jawaharlal nehru, local administration, mahatma gandhi, meritorious services, national anthem, private venues, public venues, railway stations, republic day, security blanket, shivaji park, tribute to the martyrs, tricolour, vantage points