Queen’s diamond jubilee celebration kicks offJune 2nd, 2012 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 2 (IANS) Britain kicked off nationwide celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II’s diamond jubilee Saturday.
The four-day celebrations commenced with the Queen attending a horse racing at the Epsom Derby Saturday and a nationwide 21-gun salute at 1200 GMT, marking the exact anniversary of the Queen’s coronation, Xinhua reported.
The Queen came to the throne Feb 6, 1952, and her coronation took place June 2, 1953. She celebrated her Silver Jubilee in 1977 and her Golden Jubilee in 2002.
Celebrations would focus on a 1,000-boat river pageant along the Thames in London Sunday, a musical concert near Buckingham Palace Monday, and a procession and church service at St. Paul’s Cathedral and carriage procession Tuesday.
Over a million people in the capital are expected to gather on the Thames river banks to witness the seven-mile, 1,000-boat diamond jubilee flotilla.
Some 4,000 beacons will be lit Monday across the Commonwealth following a huge picnic and star-studded concert at Buckingham Palace. The royal family will then make a balcony appearance at the palace.
People across Britain are granted with a double bank holiday this weekend as part of celebrations.
Many are taking advantage of the double bank holiday by travelling abroad.
- Queen's husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infection - Jun 05, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- Thousands cheer Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant - Jun 04, 2012
- British queen's 60-year crown gala connects to India with mega party (With Image) - Jun 04, 2012
- Cobra beer to add froth at British queen's diamond jubilee event - Apr 18, 2012
- 10 held during Queen Elizabeth's jubilee programme - Jun 04, 2012
- Prince Philip hospitalised, misses jubilee concert - Jun 05, 2012
- At 86, Queen works more than British MPs - Jun 03, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Cheryl Cole flirted with Prince Harry? - Jun 17, 2012
- Prince Charles now favoured as next king of England - Jun 11, 2012
- Gilani calls off visit for Queen's diamond jubilee - Jun 02, 2012
- 200,000 cups of tea on Elizabeth's jubilee - May 21, 2012
- Crown Jewels go on show for diamond jubilee - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: bank holiday, beacons, buckingham palace, diamond jubilee celebration, elizabeth ii, epsom derby, flotilla, golden jubilee, gun salute, london sunday, mile 1, procession, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, river banks, royal family, silver jubilee, star studded, thames river, xinhua