‘Quashing reservation in promotions goes against SCs, STs’May 3rd, 2012 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) In the wake of the Supreme Court overruling the Uttar Pradesh government’s decision to provide reservations in job promotions, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) said the directive, if implemented, will go against the rights of scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.
Raising the issue in the Rajya Sabha during a short duration discussion, BSP leader Satish Chandra Misra said action needed to be taken on the matter soon.
“If this decision (of not giving reservation in promotion) is implemented, promotions given to SCs and STs all across the country will have to be reverted. This will be against their rights,” Misra said.
“Not only this, the rights of future generations of SCs and STs will also be affected,” he said, adding that discrimination against these groups was continuing.
“For bringing equality, reservation is required,” he asserted.
The issue was raised by BSP chief Mayawati Monday, when she demanded an amendment in the constitution to safeguard reservation for SCs and STs in promotions in jobs.
The Supreme Court had last Friday overruled the Uttar Pradesh government’s decision to provide reservations in government job promotions.
The decision, introduced in 2007 when Mayawati led the Uttar Pradesh government, had caused major furore in the state with over 10 lakh employees being aggrieved by the decision to reserve promotions in top posts for the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes.
- Amend statute for job promotions to SCs, STs: Mayawati - Apr 30, 2012
- PM to head all-party meet on job promotion quota - Aug 21, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- Cabinet approves bill for reservation in job promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over quotas in promotions - Aug 09, 2012
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- SC order against promotion quotas rocks Lok Sabha - Aug 09, 2012
- All-party meeting on promotion quota Aug 21 - Aug 09, 2012
- SC order against quotas in promotions rocks parliament (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- BJP to meet on reservation in promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- BSP welcomes cabinet nod for reservation in job promotion - Sep 04, 2012
- UP employees asked to strike work against promotion quota bill - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, castes, chandra, constitution, discrimination, duration, equality, furore, future generations, government job, lakh, last friday, misra, New Delhi, promotions, rajya sabha, sts, tribes, uttar pradesh government