Putin’s timepiecesJune 11th, 2012 - 1:17 am ICT by IANS
London, June 10 (IANS) Russian President Vladimir Putin has a collection of watches worth almost six times his official annual salary of 72,000 pounds, it was reported here.
One of the watches - made from platinum with a crocodile skin strap - sells for more than 300,000 pounds alone. It is called Tourbograph and is made by German watchmaker A Lange & Sohne, the Daily Mail reported Saturday.
The revelation has raised questions about how the Russian president can afford such a lavish collection. Details of Putin’s watches were revealed in a video produced by the Russian opposition group Solidarity and posted on YouTube.
It goes on to contrast the Russian president’s watch with a 225-pound watch that US President Barack Obama has been seen wearing.
The video alleges that Russia’s political and religious leaders have an obsession with expensive timepieces.
In addition to 300,000-pound Tourbograph masterpiece, Putin also has a 6,450-pound Flyback also made by A Lange & Sohne.
He is also seen wearing a 39,000 pound Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar. And remarkably he is on his fourth 7,000-pound Blancpain watch called Leman Aqya Lugn Grande Date, according to the Mail.
The watches are worth at least 22 million rubles, Solidarity claimed, while his salary is listed as 3.6 million rubles.
- Putin hands over 5500 dollar Swiss watch to cheeky Russian factory worker - Sep 16, 2009
- Russian parliament approves heavy fines for protestors - Jun 05, 2012
- Putin declares income of $122,000 for 2011 - Apr 12, 2012
- Defamation can cost $160,000 in Russia - Jul 30, 2012
- Putin seeks law amendment for foreign-funded NGOs - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia brings in Foreign Accounts Information Law - Jul 31, 2012
- Putin's poll promises to cost state $170 bn - Feb 17, 2012
- Russian law on NGOs intimidates rights activists : US - Jul 25, 2012
- Putin's limousine invites traffic complaint - Jul 17, 2012
- Russians need to register to watch live poll broadcast - Jan 20, 2012
- Putin backs Russia's population growth - Feb 13, 2012
- Russian rights activists refuse to comply with NGO law - Jul 22, 2012
- Putin test drives Europe's cheapest car - May 12, 2011
- Cell phones edging out wrist watches in telling time - Oct 27, 2010
- Putin's presidential campaign goes online - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: annual salary, barack obama, collection details, crocodile, crocodile skin, daily mail, group solidarity, masterpiece, opposition group, perpetual calendar, president vladimir putin, religious leaders, rubles, russian opposition, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, six times, timepieces, vladimir putin, watchmaker