Putin seeks law amendment for foreign-funded NGOsJuly 11th, 2012 - 9:22 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti)Russian President Vladimir Putin has called for amendments to a bill which would force non-governmental organisations(NGOs), funded from abroad and engaged in political activity, to declare themselves “foreign agents”.
“If we see today that these projects must be brushed up, I’m ready to ask lawmakers to introduce relevant amendments,” Putin said Tuesday at a meeting on the pending legislation.
Putin urged the government “not to procrastinate until fall” with discussing the amendments.
Under the new bill, approved by the State Duma in its first reading Friday, NGOs would have to publish a biannual report of their activities and carry out an annual financial audit.
Failure to comply with the law could result in four-year jail sentences and/or fines of up to 300,000 rubles ($9,200).
Those engaged in political activity and funded from abroad will be labelled “foreign agents,” a term synonymous with spying and treason in the Soviet era, which has already met fierce criticism from human rights groups.
- Russian law on NGOs intimidates rights activists : US - Jul 25, 2012
- Russian rights activists refuse to comply with NGO law - Jul 22, 2012
- Russian senators approve anti-opposition bills - Jul 18, 2012
- Russian anti-rally bill wants $50,000 fine on protesters - May 11, 2012
- Defamation can cost $160,000 in Russia - Jul 30, 2012
- Anti-crisis measures cost Russia about $100 bn : Putin - Jan 18, 2012
- Russian parliament approves heavy fines for protestors - Jun 05, 2012
- Russia's chief investigator dismisses fraud charges - Jul 28, 2012
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Russian ruling party wants tough penalties for protesters - Apr 18, 2012
- Putin top campaign spender - Mar 02, 2012
- Russia brings in Foreign Accounts Information Law - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia needs more foreign investment: Putin - May 03, 2012
- Russia needs new system of defence procurement - May 09, 2012
- Russian court declines returning seized money during raids - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,