Putin, Medvedev may name third candidate for presidentJuly 5th, 2011 - 9:02 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin may propose another candidate for the presidential elections in 2012, an official said.
“There are three equal scenarios - first, Medvedev; second, Putin; and third, some third person whose candidacy has already been coordinated by them (the president and prime minister,” said Sergei Mironov, former speaker of the Russian Federation Council.
Mironov currently heads the State Duma faction of the A Just Russia party.
He said Putin and Medvedev had already agreed upon everything but will not make their decision public before the start of the election campaign “because if one if them is announced as a candidate, the other becomes a lame duck”.
Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov, Liberal Democratic Party head Vladimir Zhirinovsky and tycoon Mikhail Prokhorov also leader of the Right Cause party, are likely to join the presidential campaign, he said.
- Russian billionaire Prokhorov joins presidential race - Jan 26, 2012
- Russia enters 'day of silence' - Mar 03, 2012
- Russians head for polls to elect new president - Mar 04, 2012
- Putin top campaign spender - Mar 02, 2012
- Poll predicts first round victory for Putin - Feb 21, 2012
- Medvedev urges United Russia to ensure Putin wins - Dec 18, 2011
- Putin registered as presidential candidate - Dec 20, 2011
- Support for Putin on the rise, survey shows - Jan 13, 2012
- Russian election commission declares Putin winner - Mar 08, 2012
- 700 observers to monitor Russian presidential poll - Mar 01, 2012
- Putin files papers for presidential bid - Dec 08, 2011
- Russians head for polls to elect new president (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years - Feb 20, 2012
- Over 380,000 policemen for Russia's election day - Mar 04, 2012
- Putin wins presidential polls with 64 percent of votes (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,