Purno Sangma to file election petition TuesdayAugust 18th, 2012 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Former Lok Sabha speaker Purno A. Sangma, who lost the presidential election to Pranab Mukherjee, will Tuesday file an election petition challenging Mukherjee’s election as president.
Satya Pal Jain, who along with Ram Jethmalani is acting as Sangma’s lawyer, told IANS that the petition would be filed Tuesday.
“As per the election law, defeated candidate can file the petition challenging the election, so Sangma will file the election petition Tuesday,” Jain said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which backed Sangma as presidential candidate, has distanced itself from the process within days of Mukherjee getting elected.
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy had said that “any decision by Sangma to approach the Supreme Court will be his personal initiative”.
Before the election, Sangma’s team, which also included BJP at the time, had raised objection on Mukherjee’s nomination stating that he held an office of profit as chairman of Indian Statistical Institute at the time of the nomination.
They also alleged that a copy of resignation letter submitted by Mukherjee carried a forged signature.
An objection was raised at the time of scrutiny of nomination forms, but was rejected by returning officer. The BJP and allies had at that time backed the move.
The party had also backed the team’s decision to move to the Election Commission seeking rejection of Mukherjee’s nomination.
The Election Commission had then directed them to approach the apex court with an election petition, which could be filed only after the results were declared.
- BJP dissociates itself from Sangma's petition plan (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sangma to file election petition Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Team will move SC if Sangma loses presidential poll - Jul 11, 2012
- BJP dissociates itself from Sangma's petition plan - Jul 25, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Intro Roundup) (With Image) - Jul 03, 2012
- Team Sangma to approach poll panel against Pranab's nomination (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Roundup) (With images) - Jul 03, 2012
- 'Beyond my powers to probe Mukherjee's signature' - Jul 11, 2012
- Sangma's team keeps option of moving apex court open - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangma to decide Thursday on petition against Mukherjee - Jul 05, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Team Sangma gives poll panel proof against Mukherjee - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: apex court, bharatiya janata party, bjp, copy of resignation letter, election commission, election law, election petition, indian statistical institute, jain, Lok Sabha, nomination forms, objection, personal initiative, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential election, rajiv pratap, ram jethmalani, returning officer, spokesperson