Punjab to reward sting operations against sex testsJune 26th, 2011 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 26 (IANS) Carrying out a sting operation to expose illegal sex determination tests in Punjab can now earn you a reward of Rs 50,000, a minister announced Sunday.
Punjab has a sex ratio of 893 females per 1,000 males, one of the worst among states in the country.
Embarrassed by the poor sex ratio, Punjab Health Minister Satpal Gosain announced an award for any journalist or non-journalist who expose female foeticide through a sting operation.
The health minister said that this was being done in order to eradicate the social evil of female foeticide from Punjab region and to improve the sex ratio.
Gosain said that the new policy, which will promote sting operations against sex determination tests, was aimed at saving the girl child.
“According to this scheme any journalist or commoner, who will initiate a sting operation would be awarded with an amount of Rs.50,000,” Gosain said.
He said that an amount of Rs.5 lakh (Rs.500,000) would reserved every year for promoting sting operations against the evil.
In case of information given to government information about the illegal tests by any informer, he would be given a reward of Rs.20,000, if the details turn out to be true.
He said that a provision had also been made to reward village panchayats where the sex ratio improves.
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- Kashmir doubles reward for tip-offs on illegal sex tests - Nov 29, 2011
- 'Urgent need to restore gender balance in J&K;' - Jul 22, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Post 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir to meet Gehlot - May 07, 2012
- Post Aamir, Rajasthan for policy to save girl child - May 11, 2012
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Gehlot promises Aamir war on foeticide (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Infant girl left at ashram doorstep - May 09, 2012
- Rajasthan doctor booked for female foeticide - Nov 02, 2011
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Declining sex ratio attributed to misuse of medical technology - Dec 18, 2011
- Newborn girl found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jul 07, 2011
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
Tags: female foeticide, females, girl child, government information, health minister, illegal sex, illegal tests, journalist, provision, rs 50, rs 500, satpal, saving the girl, sex determination, sex ratio, sex tests, social evil, sting operation, sting operations, village panchayats