Punjab seeks quick completion of road over bridgesAugust 29th, 2009 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 28 (IANS) Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal Friday said he would soon meet Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee and the Railway Board chairman to seek quick completion of road over bridges (ROBs) in the state.
Badal said he would seek integrated development of ROBs by the appointment of a single construction agency, on the lines of Tamil Nadu.
“I am very impressed by the arrangement with Tamil Nadu government for integrated development of ROBs by single construction agency. I would soon approach railway minister for replication of same model in Punjab,” Badal said here, after holding a review meeting of 45 ROBs being constructed in the state with the Public Works Department (PWD) officials.
“A single construction agency would expedite the construction of these ROBs and there would be no coordination problems between railways and state government,” he said.
Out of the total 45 ROBs project in the state, 27 are in various stages of construction.
PWD Minister Parminder Singh Dhindsa said: “Completion of ROBs gets delayed because of divided work of each ROB between railways and Punjab government. The bridges over railway lines portion were constructed by railway engineering department, whereas the approach road to the ROB on both sides is constructed by state government.”
“Often the approach road is completed but the construction of main bridge gets delayed, mostly due to tendering disputes, design finalisation and clearance of estimates,” he added.
- Punjab, railways to tie up for building bridges - Nov 17, 2010
- Badal allocates portfolios, son keeps home, excise - Mar 15, 2012
- Govt. to raise more funds for development in Punjab: Badal - Nov 02, 2010
- New cycling chief Parminder Dhindsa seeks ministry's help - Jun 27, 2011
- Poll panel stops road work in Badal's constituency - Jan 18, 2012
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- Ludhiana's four-lane bypass to be completed June 2011 - Aug 03, 2010
- Akhilesh wants to bring Lucknow, Delhi closer - Mar 21, 2012
- Punjab to link all cities with highways - Apr 23, 2012
- Probe poor quality work at new schools: Badal - Feb 10, 2011
- Notice to Chinese firm on Himachal road projects' delay - Jul 10, 2012
- Punjab seeks PM's intervention on food grain storage - Apr 06, 2011
- Jayalalithaa congratulates Badal, Mulayam Singh - Mar 07, 2012
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: approach road, badal, board chairman, bridges, coordination problems, deputy chief minister, dhindsa, engineering department, estimates, main bridge, mamata banerjee, parminder singh, pwd, railway board, railway engineering, railway lines, railway minister, railways, replication, state government