Punjab declares two-day mourning for S.S. RayNovember 7th, 2010 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 7 (IANS) The Punjab government Sunday declared state mourning Nov 7-8 as a mark of respect to former governor Siddhartha Shankar Ray who died in Kolkata Saturday following illness.
A Punjab government spokesperson said the national flag would fly at half-mast on all public buildings and no official entertainment programme would be held during the two days.
Ray was Punjab governor from April 1986 to December 1989, during which the Khalistani terrorist movement was at its peak in the state.
He along with top police official K.P.S. Gill, who took over as Punjab police chief in 1988, succeeded in considerably weakening militants in the state.
Ray was born in 1920 in a well-to-do family of south Kolkata. His father Sudhir Kumar Ray was a legal luminary while his mother Aparna Devi was Deshbandhu C.R. Das’s eldest daughter.
Himself a great barrister, Ray was one of the close advisors of then prime minister Indira Gandhi and one of the architects of the Emergency declared on June 25, 1975
- S.S. Ray - an administrator par excellence (Obituary) - Nov 07, 2010
- Siddhartha Shankar Ray, former West Bengal chief minister dead (Second Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- S.S. Ray accorded a state funeral - Nov 07, 2010
- Dhumal mourns S.S. Ray's death - Nov 07, 2010
- CPI-M mouthpiece attacks Ray even after death - Nov 07, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee slams Centre for not honouring late WB Chief Minister - Nov 21, 2010
- People pay homage to former West Bengal CM Siddhartha Shankar Ray - Nov 07, 2010
- Ray contributed to strengthening Indo-US ties: PM - Nov 07, 2010
- Ex-ambassador to US S.S. Ray dead (Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- Siddarth Shankar Ray to write to centre on Lalgarh - Nov 29, 2009
- Tight security at Pakistan governor's funeral prayers (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh's three-day mourning for Arjun Singh - Mar 05, 2011
- Two-day mourning in Karnataka for Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
- Police complaint filed in Taseer killing case - Jan 05, 2011
- Nigerian embassies open condolence registers - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: architects, barrister, chandigarh, eldest daughter, government spokesperson, indira gandhi, kolkata, luminary, mast, militants, national flag, police chief, police official, prime minister indira, public buildings, punjab government, s s ray, shankar, siddhartha, terrorist movement