Punjab by-poll passes off peacefullyJune 12th, 2009 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
Jalandhar, June 12 (IANS) Polling in the by-election to the Nurmahal assembly seat in Punjab’s Jalandhar district passed off peacefully Friday, with the voter turnout expected to cross 70 percent, officials said.
“Till 5 p.m. we had registered 67 percent voting but it would easily cross 70 percent mark as voters are still lined up at various polling booths to cast their votes,” a spokesperson of state poll panel told IANS.
More women and youth came out to vote this time, he added.
District police chief R.K. Jaiswal told IANS that polling was peaceful and no cases of booth capturing or any other violent incident had been reported.
The seat was lying vacant since December 2008 since the death of sitting legislator, Gurdeep Singh Bhullar of the Akali Dal. By-elections were scheduled May 28 but postponed to June 12 following the widespread violence in the state, particularly in Jalandhar district, in the aftermath of a bloody clash in a gurdwara in Austrian capital Vienna.
The main contest is between Bhullar’s widow, Rajwinder Kaur of the Akali Dal and Gurbinder Singh Atwal of the Congress.
- Akali Dal wins Punjab by-poll - Jun 15, 2009
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Millions vote in by-polls in six states (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011
- Punjab assembly by-poll postponed to June 12 - May 26, 2009
- Polling ends in Hisar by-poll, over 70 percent turnout expected (Third Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- Akali Dal releases second list of candidates - Dec 27, 2011
- Akali Dal-BJP sweep Punjab civic polls (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Nearly 40 percent vote in Punjab polls (Afternoon Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Over 60 percent polling in Mandu bypoll - Nov 30, 2011
- Polling under way in Punjab (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Over 65 percent voting in Punjab bypoll - Jul 11, 2012
- Over 65 percent polling in Punjab bypoll (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Bright and sunny as polling picks up in Punjab (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: aftermath, assembly seat, atwal, austrian capital, bhullar, capital vienna, clash, district police, gurdwara, jaiswal, kaur, legislator, police chief, polling booths, punjab, spokesperson, state poll, violence, violent incident, voter turnout