Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit’s releaseJune 29th, 2012 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 29 (IANS) While hailing the release of Indian prisoner Surjeet Singh from Lahore prison a day ago, the Punjab assembly Friday unanimously passed a resolution seeking the immediate release of another prisoner, Sarabjit Singh, who is on the death row in Pakistan.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal moved a resolution Friday in the assembly asking the Pakistani and Indian governments to ensure that Sarabjit Singh was released at the earliest.
The resolution was seconded by Leader of Opposition Sunil Jakhar and adopted unanimously by the house.
Hailing the release of Surjeet Singh, who returned to India after spending over 30 years in Pakistani prisons on spying charges, Badal said that the state government would provide financial and other assistance to him (Surjeet).
“I have asked the Ferozepur deputy commissioner for a report in this regard and the state government would do all it can to help him,” Badal told the assembly.
Pakistan had done a flip-flop late Tuesday after announcing that President Asif Ali Zardari had commuted Sarabjit’s death sentence and that he would be released.
Later, the presidential spokesman said that instead of Sarabjit, another Indian prisoner, Surjeet Singh, who has been languishing in Pakistani jails for over three decades on spying charges, would be released.
Sarabjit’s family claims that he had inadvertently crossed over to Pakistan in an inebriated state August 1990 and was arrested there. He hails from Bhikhiwind village along the India-Pakistan border, 280 km from Chandigarh.
He was later identified as Manjit Singh and accused of planting two bombs in Pakistan which claimed 14 lives. He was sentenced to death by Pakistani courts even though his family here claimed that he was innocent.
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: assembly resolution, chief minister, death row, death sentence, deputy commissioner, immediate release, india pakistan, indian governments, inebriated, jails, leader of opposition, manjit singh, pakistan border, parkash singh badal, presidential spokesman, prisons, spokesman said that, state government, three decades, zardari