Punjab assembly by-poll postponed to June 12May 26th, 2009 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 26 (IANS) The by-election for Punjab’s Nurmahal assembly seat, which was to be held Thursday, has now been postponed to June 12 following widespread violence in the state, the Election Commission announced Tuesday.
All the political parties had sent a request to the poll panel to postpone the election in the wake of the unrest in the state, particularly in Jalandhar district, under which Nurmahal falls, in the aftermath of a bloody clash in a gurdwara in Austrian capital Vienna Sunday.
“We had written to the Election Commission of India yesterday (Monday). Today we have got their notification and now the elections would be held on June 12,” Kusumjit Sidhu, chief election commissioner of Punjab, told IANS.
Nurmahal town is around 200 km from here. The assembly seat has been lying vacant for the last five months after the death of Akali Dal legislator Gurdeep Singh Bhullar, 50, in December last year.
“All the parties are in the favour of postponing the Nurmahal elections till the situation becomes normal in the state,” Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal told reporters here.
Curfew was imposed Monday in several Punjab towns, including Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Hoshiarpur and Phagwara, after widespread violence by followers of the Dera Sachh Khand sect who protested against the attack on religious leaders in a gurdwara in Vienna Sunday.
Two top leaders of the Dera Sachh Khand sect, who are followers of Guru Ravidass and belong to the Dalit Sikh community, were attacked with knives and firearms in the Vienna gurdwara.
While sect head Niranjan Dass was recovering in a hospital, his second in command, Sant Rama Nand Dass, died from gunshot wounds. The attack left at least 15 people injured.
- Curfew in Hoshiarpur - May 25, 2009
- Punjab limps back to normalcy, but tension persists (Second Lead) - May 26, 2009
- Dal Khalsa urges apex Sikh body to probe Vienna shoot-out - Aug 11, 2009
- Thousands pour in for sect leader's cremation in Punjab - Jun 04, 2009
- State funeral for sect leader as thousands attend in Punjab (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Punjab curfew being relaxed but state remains tense (Lead) - May 26, 2009
- In Vienna, followers pay last respects to Rama Nand - Jun 02, 2009
- Punjab burns as sect leader dies in Vienna (Second Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Tension, curfew continue in parts of Punjab - May 26, 2009
- Violence leaves Punjab poorer by Rs.7,000 crore: Assocham - May 26, 2009
- Akal Takht asks SGPC to send team to probe Vienna shooting - Aug 12, 2009
- Fresh violence in Punjab after sect leader dies in Vienna (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Social neglect leading to growing influence of sects: Experts - May 29, 2009
- Punjab situation not quite normal: Chidambaram - May 25, 2009
- One killed as Punjab burns over Vienna gurdwara clash (Third Lead) - May 25, 2009
Tags: assembly seat, austrian capital, bhullar, capital vienna, chandigarh, chief election commissioner, chief minister, election commission of india, five months, gunshot wounds, gurdwara, guru ravidass, hoshiarpur, legislator, parkash singh badal, phagwara, religious leaders, sect, sikh community, state chief