Punjab, Andhra Pradesh revoke ban on ‘Aarakshan’ (Lead)August 13th, 2011 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) The Punjab and Andhra Pradesh governments have cleared filmmaker Prakash Jha’s “Aarakshan” for screening and revoked the statewide ban they imposed on it. The screening of the film started in the two states Saturday afternoon.
Both states set up special committees to see if there was anything objectionable in the film.
The committees appreciated the film and did not find anything offensive. So, they passed it for release after filmmaker Prakash Jha made some minor changes in it, a statement from Prakash Jha Productions said.
“It is a relief that the film is finally going to release in Andhra Pradesh and Punjab. I’m overwhelmed by the show of support from the common citizens of India who are going to watch the film,” Jha said.
“It is reassuring to know that the right to freedom of expression is a real right for every Indian citizen. We are working towards getting the film released in Uttar Pradesh as well,” he added.
“Aarakshan” deals with the issue of reservation in academic institutions and has Amitabh Bachchan, Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone in the lead roles. It ran into trouble for certain dialogues which are offending to the feelings of a certain section of society.
- Andhra Pradesh likely to clear 'Aarakshan' - Aug 13, 2011
- Ban lifted, Punjab halls to screen 'Aarakshan' - Aug 15, 2011
- Apex court to hear Jha against 'Aarakshan' bans Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Jha happy as 'Aarakshan' ban lifted in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Prakash Jha agrees to changes in 'Aarakshan' - Aug 11, 2011
- Prakash Jha agrees to 'appropriate cuts' in 'Aarakshan' (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Despite protests in Banglore, 'Aarakshan' attracts audience - Aug 12, 2011
- Punjab lifts ban on 'Aarakshan' - Aug 14, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' mints Rs.58 crore in first week, Jha elated - Aug 19, 2011
- Despite bans 'Aarakshan' earns Rs.25 crore in four days - Aug 16, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear petition on 'Aarakshan' ban - Aug 12, 2011
- Supreme Court lifts Uttar Pradesh ban on 'Aarakshan' (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Supreme Court lifts Uttar Pradesh ban on 'Aarakshan' - Aug 19, 2011
- Prakash Jha's office, home attacked for 'Aarakshan' - Aug 06, 2011
- SC notice to Punjab on 'Aarakshan' film ban - Sep 17, 2012
Tags: academic institutions, amitabh bachchan, citizens, committees, deepika padukone, dialogues, feelings, freedom of expression, governments, India, indian citizen, minor changes, New Delhi, prakash jha, right to freedom of expression, saif ali khan, saturday afternoon, statewide ban, two states