Pune firing continues to rock Maharashtra AssemblyAugust 12th, 2011 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 12 (IANS) The police firing on Pune farmers continued to rock the Maharashtra assembly for the fourth consecutive day as the opposition targeted the Congress-led government, saying its version was contradictory to what police had to say about the incident.
On the last day of the 15-day monsoon session, the house had to be adjourned thrice as opposition members attacked the government again and accused it of killing innocent people.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse, of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), along with Shiv Sena leader Subhash Desai and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena leader Bala Nandgaonkar took objection to Pune Rural Superintendent of Police (SP) Sandeep Karnik’s press conference where he justified police action.
Desai questioned as to why six constables were suspended if Karnik had a justification for the action. He also objected to the fact that a police officer could address the media directly when the legislature was in session.
Alleging misleading reports by police on what actually happened at the farmers’ agitation at Bahuri village of Maval sub-district (tehsil) Tuesday, opposition members also took out a funeral procession of the government with Ram Kadam of the MNS posing as the dead body of the government.
The procession led to the adjournment of the house during the question hour. Later, the opposition members also moved towards the speaker’s podium and shouted slogans, leading to an adjournment of the house.
Earlier, a delegation of 70 members from opposition parties led by Khadse met Governor K.Sankaranarayanan and demanded the dismissal of the state government for the deteriorating law and order situation in the state.
- Pune deaths: Maharashtra opposition flays government, probe ordered (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition flays Pune police firing deaths - Aug 09, 2011
- Mumbai Police to probe CAG report leak - Apr 17, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition members meet governor - Aug 12, 2011
- Two cops suspended for assault on MNS legislator - Mar 18, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition to demand government's dismissal - Aug 12, 2011
- Pune deaths: Opposition demands Maharashtra government's dismissal - Aug 10, 2011
- Chhatrapati Shivaji memorial at sea rocks legislature - Mar 15, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi visits Pune farmers - Aug 18, 2011
- Sack Ashok Chavan ministry, demands Maharashtra opposition - Nov 01, 2010
- Maharashtra government, opposition trade charges - Apr 09, 2012
- BJP, MNS support Jaitapur, Shiv Sena getting isolated - Apr 19, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition creates ruckus, assembly adjourned (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- 14 Shiv Sena, BJP legislators in Maharashtra suspended for year - Mar 30, 2012
- 13/7, scribe's murder set to rock Maharashtra assembly - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: adjournment, bharatiya janata party, bjp, constables, desai, funeral procession, kadam, karnik, law and order, leader of opposition, maharashtra navnirman sena, misleading reports, mns, monsoon session, opposition members, opposition parties, police action, sandeep, sankaranarayanan, sena leader