Puerto Rico senator resigns over nude photosAugust 30th, 2011 - 11:42 am ICT by IANS
San Juan, Aug 30 (IANS/EFE) The leader of the governing PNP in the Puerto Rican Senate, Roberto Arango, resigned amid a scandal over nude photos that appeared on an iPhone social-networking application for gay and bisexual men.
The news was made public by Senate President Thomas Rivera Schatz in a press release announcing that the resignation will become effective as of Wednesday.
“The circumstances that have brought about Sen. Arango’s resignation, which he explains in his letter, are extremely regrettable. I believed that with the legislator’s resignation we can put the matter behind us and focus on discussing subjects that are important for our people,” Rivera Schatz said.
Rivera Schatz said that Sen. Larry Seilhamer will temporarily fill the position of Senate majority leader.
Several days ago the daily Primera Hora published two pictures, one of a naked man with his face partially covered by a cell phone, and another that appears to be the same person but dressed and with the caption: “Arango, is it you or not?”
The senator called it a “tall tale” being connected with the photos circulating on the Internet, though he did not deny that he was the one in the pictures.
For its part, the daily El Nuevo Dia said that the photos were posted on the gay and bisexual iPhone app Grindr.
Gov. Luis Fortuno also weighed in on the scandal and said that if the pictures that the media connect with Sen. Arango really are of a public official, that person should resign.
- School principal suspended for cross-dressing - Oct 01, 2011
- iPhone allows gays to find one another - Aug 11, 2010
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Mexican involved in killing of 49 people arrested - Aug 04, 2012
- Julio Iglesias wraps up Spain tour - Aug 14, 2012
- Monkeys menace in Puerto Rican capital - Aug 07, 2012
- Now, an iPhone app that will help singles hook up - Aug 14, 2010
- Puerto Ricans reject constitutional changes - Aug 21, 2012
- Britney Spears to give free concert in Mexico City - Dec 01, 2011
- New array of smartphone apps to help you spot singles! - Jan 22, 2011
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Outage cuts cell phone service in Argentina - Apr 03, 2012
- Singer Jenni Rivera to have TV programme - Sep 30, 2011
- Mexican doctor criticised for OT photos on Facebook - Apr 20, 2012
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: arango, bisexual men, el nuevo dia, iphone, legislator, luis fortuno, naked man, networking application, nude photos, president thomas, press release announcing that, puerto rican, resignation, san juan, scandal, senate majority leader, senate president, social networking, tall tale, thomas rivera schatz