‘Pseudo letter scam’ hits Punjab governor houseDecember 28th, 2008 - 12:42 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 27 (IANS) A letter under a fake name, on the basis of which Chandigarh’s senior most bureaucrat and other top officials were questioned this month, has now involved the Punjab Raj Bhawan with the name of the governor’s aide-de-camp (ADC) figuring in it too.Sources at the governor house confirmed that the ADC, Major Nirvikar Singh of the army, proceeded on leave Saturday following the latest controversy.
Punjab Governor S.F. Rodrigues, who is also the administrator of the union territory of Chandigarh, had recently marked a probe based on the letter complaining against Pradip Mehra, Chandigarh’s senior-most bureaucrat in the rank of chief secretary.
That letter had alleged that Mehra’s house in New Delhi was renovated at the behest of officials of one of the corporations under the Chandigarh administration. It turned out that the sender’s name was fake.
The probe was marked by Rodrigues to the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) and the agency questioned Mehra and other senior officers despite clear guidelines that no inquiry would be made on anonymous letters.
In another letter released under the same pseudo name Saturday, the writer stated that the earlier letter against Mehra was fake and instigated by ADC Singh. It sought a probe against Singh for getting another house renovated in Gurgaon by officials.
The administration officials said that having marked a probe on the basis of the fake letter earlier against Mehra, it would be difficult for Rodrigues to ignore the new letter.
The differences between Rodrigues and Mehra over allotment of development projects running into millions of rupees in the union territory have come out in the open in recent weeks.
- Army probe against tainted ex-aide of Rodrigues sought - Jul 24, 2010
- Chandigarh's high-level tussle hits new low - Mar 09, 2009
- Chandigarh projects under scanner after graft case against ex-official - Jul 19, 2010
- Top Chandigarh finance official in golfing controversy - Dec 01, 2010
- Chandigarh's shop allotment scam involves union minister: Probe report - Mar 02, 2011
- Chandigarh's multi-crore mega projects under CBI scanner - Jan 29, 2010
- Rodrigues embroiled in controversial land deals - Oct 15, 2009
- Ruckus in parliament over Chandigarh shop allotment scam - Mar 14, 2011
- Special audit ordered for Chandigarh's projects - Apr 07, 2009
- Row hits Karnataka governor over ADC's promotion - Sep 27, 2011
- Chandigarh's top brass fight over multi-million rupee land deals - Dec 28, 2008
- Union minister-Chandigarh administrator fight hots up - Oct 23, 2009
- Governor's public hearing has few takers (Punjab Newsletter) - Nov 26, 2011
- Punjab's elite-60 under HC lens over land dealings (Punjab Newsletter) - May 25, 2012
- Police ask Chandigarh mayor to look for absconding councillor - Sep 18, 2009