PRP rebel legislator appears before Andhra speakerDecember 19th, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 19 (IANS) Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) rebel legislator Shoba Nagi Reddy Monday met Andhra Pradesh assembly Speaker N. Manohar to give her reply to the disqualification notice.
Speaking to reporters later, she said the PRP had no right to seek her disqualification as the party no longer exists, following its merger with the Congress.
“When there is no party, how can it issue a whip?” said Shoba, who is opposed to the PRP’s merger with the Congress.
The notice was issued by Speaker Manohar to the legislator from Avanigadda in Kurnool district following a petition of the PRP to disqualify her for violating the party whip.
Shoba, a loyalist of YSR Congress leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy, had violated the PRP whip by voting for the no-confidence motion moved by the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) against the Congress government.
The government defeated the no-confidence motion in a vote Dec 5.
The PRP, which has already announced its merger with the Congress, had issued a whip asking all its 18 legislators to vote against the motion.
Meanwhile, the speaker is likely to issue notices to 16 rebel Congress legislators for voting in favour of the no-confidence motion.
The ruling party Dec 12 had submitted a petition to the speaker, seeking disqualification of its legislators loyal to Jaganmohan Reddy.
The speaker will take a decision on the petition after hearing the rebel lawmakers.
- Congress to seek disqualification of 17 Andhra rebels - Dec 10, 2011
- Disqualify 16 rebel Andhra legislators: Congress - Dec 12, 2011
- Congress rebels meet Andhra speaker for disqualification - Dec 26, 2011
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists - Mar 03, 2012
- Congress, TDP, TRS issue whips to legislators - Dec 04, 2011
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Rebel Congress members refuse to meet Andhra speaker - Jan 18, 2012
- Andhra assembly takes up debate on no-confidence motion - Dec 05, 2011
- Andhra assembly adjourned for second day without business - Dec 02, 2011
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- 21 Jagan loyalists to vote against Congress government - Dec 03, 2011
- Manohar elected new speaker of Andhra assembly - Jun 04, 2011
- Jagan challenges Congress to go for bypolls to 17 seats - Dec 06, 2011
- No-trust motion defeated in Andhra assembly - Dec 06, 2011
- Andhra governor prorogues legislature - Jun 07, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh assembly, assembly speaker, confidence motion, congress government, congress leader, favour, lawmakers, legislator, legislators, merger, nagi, party whip, petition, reply, ruling party, tdp, telugu desam party, vote