Protests against Telangana continue in Andhra PradeshDecember 13th, 2009 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 13 (IANS) Protests continued in coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of Andhra Pradesh for the third day Sunday against the centre’s decision to initiate the process for separate statehood to the Telangana region.
Cutting across party lines, political activists, students and other groups took out rallies, staged sit-ins and relay hunger strikes, and blocked road and rail traffic opposing the proposed division of the state.
Sporadic incidents of violence were reported from some parts of the two regions as the protests affected normal life.
The state-owned Road Transport Corporation (RTC) resumed services partially in most parts of the nine districts of coastal Andhra and four districts of Rayalaseema regions.
Raising slogans of “Samaikhya Andhra” (united Andhra), protesters took out rallies and forced shutdowns in some areas.
Protesters also attacked the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) office at Guntakul in Anantapur district and damaged oil tankers.
Tension prevailed at SK University in Anantapur as students held a meeting opposing the division of the state.
In Vijayawada city in the coastal Krishna district, main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) legislators D. Umamaheswar Rao and Ramakotaiah and former mayor Anuradha began an indefinite hunger strike Sunday.
“We will call off our fast only after the centre takes back its decision to form a separate Telangana state,” said Rao, who is among the 130 legislators of the TDP, ruling Congress and Praja Rajyam Party who have submitted their resignations to the assembly speaker.
A group of students at Andhra University in Visakhapatnam continued their hunger strike for the third day.
- Telangana protests intensify, JAC plans joint agitation (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Trouble in Andhra: anti-Telangana students clash with police - Dec 15, 2009
- Telangana strike paralyses transport services - Sep 19, 2011
- Rallies in Andhra, Rayalaseema oppose Telangana state - Jul 08, 2011
- No let up in protests for 'United Andhra' - Dec 17, 2009
- Andhra leaders opposing Telangana continue fast - Dec 20, 2009
- Protests continue in Andhra against proposed bifurcation - Dec 21, 2009
- Political deadlock, protests over Telangana continue - Dec 16, 2009
- Protests continue in Andhra, Rayalaseema over Telangana - Dec 12, 2009
- Mixed response to shutdown call in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2012
- TDP legislator warns of suicide attacks to keep Andhra united - Jul 20, 2011
- 'United Andhra' protests, shutdowns continue for eighth day - Dec 18, 2009
- Hyderabad shutdown called on Sep 30, rail blockade in October (Roundup) - Sep 26, 2011
- Non-cooperation movement begins in Telangana - Feb 17, 2011
- Student group calls for anti-Telangana protests - Sep 19, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,