Protesters clash with police in SrinagarMarch 6th, 2009 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 6 (IANS) Over a dozen protesters and security men were injured in clashes after Friday prayers in the old city areas of Jammu and Kashmir’s summer capital Srinagar.
Agitated protesters indulged in heavy stone pelting at the police in the Nowhatta area of the city after Friday prayers, forcing the police and the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) to use batons and fire tear smoke shells to quell the mob.
The protesters dispersed but kept on regrouping from the densely populated lanes and bylanes of the area engaging the police in sporadic clashes.
The situation in the area was tense following eruption of fresh clashes in the old city area.
Earlier Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, alleged that the government was interfering with the religious rights of the local people.
Addressing a large congregation at the historic Jamia Mosque in the Nowhatta area, he asked the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) to use its influence on India to stop the “interference.”
“The government should not push the people to resort to the same type of agitation Kashmir witnessed in August last year,” Mirwaiz Umer said.
- No Friday curfew in Srinagar after six weeks - Nov 12, 2010
- One dead as protesters, police clash in Srinagar (Lead) - Mar 06, 2009
- Geelani to intensify stir ahead of Obama's India visit - Oct 30, 2010
- Thousands offer Eid prayers amid sporadic violence in Kashmir - Nov 17, 2010
- People anguished at Maulana Showkat's murder: Mirwaiz - Apr 22, 2011
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Stones pelted at Mirwaiz Umer in Sopore - Dec 16, 2011
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2011
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- 15 injured as clashes erupt in Kashmir (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- 13 people injured in police-protester clashes in Kashmir - May 10, 2010
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: agitation, city areas, clash with police, dozen protesters, heavy stone, hurriyat, interference, jamia mosque, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mob, organization of islamic conference, police force, protesters clash with police, religious rights, reserve police, security men, shells, sporadic clashes, srinagar