Protest against Sri Lankan delegation in Lok SabhaAugust 1st, 2011 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) AIADMK members in the Lok Sabha Monday shouted slogans to protest the presence of a Sri Lankan delegates, led by Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa, who were in the house as special foreign guests.
AIADMK members, led by S. Semmalai and Munisamy Thambidurai, shouted “shame, shame” as soon as Speaker Meira Kumar began reading out her welcome message to Rajapaksa and his other colleagues, including Sri Lankan ministers, sitting in the special box to the left of her.
Almost all nine members of Tamil Nadu’s ruling party were heard shouting slogans against the Sri Lankan government as MPs from other parties thumped their desks to welcome the nine-member visiting delegation.
P. Lingam, the Communist Party of India (CPI) MP from Tenkasi in Tamil Nadu, also attempted to join the protests over alleged human rights abuses against Sri Lankan Tamils in the island nation. He was seen walking down the aisle towards the speaker’s podium but was stopped by his party leader Gurudas Dasgupta, who asked him to go back to his seat.
A visibly irate Meira Kumar rebuked the Tamil MPs and asked them to show some courtesy to the honoured guests.
The Sri Lankan delegation is on a five-day official visit to India on an invitation by the speaker.
- Sri Lankan leaders heckled in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Indian delegation holds talks in Sri Lanka - Apr 17, 2012
- Uproar in parliament over police crackdown on BJP workers - Aug 10, 2011
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- Congress MPs from Telangana disrupt Lok Sabha (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- AIADMK out of MPs team to Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Tamil groups protest against Sri Lankan delegation's visit to Coimbatore - Dec 04, 2010
- Sri Lankan MPs to take up yoga classes - Dec 11, 2010
- Gender equality prerequisite for inclusive growth: Meira Kumar - Sep 13, 2012
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- Congress MPs to submit a report to PM about Sri Lanka visit - Apr 22, 2012
- Indian delegation visits Sri Lanka's war-torn north - Apr 19, 2012
- Rajapaksa wants to discuss targeting of Sri Lankans with India - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, chamal, communist party of india, CPI, dasgupta, human rights abuses, island nation, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, mps, party leader, rajapaksa, ruling party, shame shame, slogans, sri lankan government, sri lankan tamils, tamil nadu, tenkasi, walking down the aisle