Protect northeast people, says CPI-MAugust 16th, 2012 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) The CPI-M Thursday called for immediate steps to protect the safety of people from the northeast in other parts of India in the wake of ethnic violence in Assam.
“Immediate steps should be taken to assure the people of northeastern origin of their safety and security wherever they are residing,” the CPI-M said in a statement.
“The state governments and administration should take prompt measures for this,” the Communist Party of India-Marxist added.
Thousands of students and others from the northeast living in Karnataka fled the state by trains late Wednesday and early Thursday following rumours that they would be targeted to avenge Assam’s ethnic violence.
“The recent violence in the Bodoland territorial region in Assam has localized reasons and any attempts to rouse feelings in other parts of the country should be firmly curbed,” the CPI-M said.
“The CPI-M appeals to all sections of the people to foil any moves to disturb amity amongst the people and maintain unity and peace.”
- Congress MPs from northeast meet Sonia - Aug 16, 2012
- PM speaks to Karnataka CM - Aug 16, 2012
- Fence entire Bangladesh border, opposition says (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Government says northeast people safe in Karnataka (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Fence entire Bangladesh border, opposition says - Aug 08, 2012
- Northeast people safe in Karnataka: Government (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Blame illegal immigrants for northeast tensions: Gadkari - Aug 24, 2012
- India raises social media misuse with Pakistan, situation normal in south (Roundup) - Aug 19, 2012
- Government raises cap on bulk SMSes from five to 20 - Aug 23, 2012
- Punish the killers in Assam: CPI-M - Jul 25, 2012
- PM asks states to maintain peace (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Parties unite for northeast, PM assures safety (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Ensure safety of people from northeast, BJP tells government - Aug 16, 2012
- Panic subsides in Karnataka, people flee Maharashtra (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- Northeast exodus unites parties, PM assures safety (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: amity, assam, attempts, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, ethnic violence, feelings, measures, New Delhi, peace, rumours, safety and security, state governments, trains, unity