Prosecute Tytler, Sajjan for 1984 riots: SikhsApril 9th, 2009 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) Not mollified by the Congress party dropping Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar as party candidates for the Lok Sabha polls, many Sikhs are demanding the prosecution of the two for their alleged involvement in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
“This is not a victory. Our issue in Punjab is not about the tickets to Tytler and Kumar. They should be prosecuted,” Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said.
The journalist who chucked a shoe at Home Minister P. Chidambaram in protest maintains that justice still needs to be done.
“I am not feeling victorious. This (move to axe him) may be good politically, but still justice needs to be done,” Jarnail Singh told IANS.
“If those who lost their near and dear ones (in the riots) think that it is good, it is fine. But the culprits should be brought to book,” he said.
Manvinder Singh, a businessman, thinks it is just an “eyewash”. He told IANS: “It is nothing but an eyewash. If the Congress was really so serious about people’s sentiments, they would not have given ticket to both of them till now. Thanks to Jarnail’s shoe, this will probably be the end of their political careers.”
Jagjit Singh Sandhu, a pilot, told IANS: “I think that it’s a gesture by a responsible political party that should be welcomed. Congress has responded to the feelings of the members of a community who feel that these people should not be given tickets till proven innocent by the judiciary.”
Tytler and Sajjan Kumar were alleged to have led mobs during the anti-Sikh riots following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi in Oct 31, 1984. Over 3,000 Sikhs were believed to have been killed in the riots.
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- After protests, Congress drops Tytler, Sajjan Kumar (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2009
- Shoe-throwing scribe honoured by Sikhs in Canada - Nov 06, 2009
- Sikhs protest to demand Rajoana's release - Mar 28, 2012
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- Tytler seeks clarification from home ministry over 1984 riots - Dec 15, 2009
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar to give evidence to defend self in riots case - Jul 19, 2011
- Rivals implicated me in 1984 riots case: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- 1984 riots: CBI blames Sajjan Kumar for inciting mob - Apr 23, 2012
- Shiromani Akali Dal announces cash award for shoe-throwing journo - Apr 07, 2009
- I objected to Tytler, Sajjan's candidature: Pranab - Apr 11, 2009
- Shoe-throwing scribe to release book on anti-Sikh riots - Nov 05, 2009
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Tytler decision good, but justice is pending. says shoe-hurler - Apr 09, 2009
Tags: anti sikh riots, badal, congress party, culprits, deputy chief minister, eyewash, home minister, indira gandhi, jagdish tytler, Lok Sabha, mobs, oct 31, p chidambaram, party candidates, political careers, prime minister indira, punjab, sajjan kumar, sikhs, singh sandhu