Prop 23 Gets A Thumbs Down From VotersNovember 3rd, 2010 - 7:10 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Nov 3, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The voters in California turned down a disputed proposal to put on hold the much touted greenhouse gas reduction law on Tuesday which proved they are in sync with the endeavor of the state to take part in saving the environment. The measure otherwise known as Proposition 23 would have stalled the climate law of California till unemployment fell down beneath 5.5 percent for a year. The economic analysts said that it was a near impossible thing to happen. The opponents of prop 23 are high profile environmental groups across the USA. George Shultz and Arnold Schwarzenegger the republican governor also opposed the measure clearly.
The proponents of the measure said in their arguments that implementing AB32, the much talked about 2006 climate law, may result in huge losses in job sector. However, it is clear that the voters did not buy their arguments at all. Steven Maviglio a spokesperson for the movement against Proposition 23 said in his statement “I think it’s extremely significant that in recessionary times Californians once again prove you can have both a strong economy and a clean environment”. Two Texas based oil companies backed the measure.
The decision taken by the voters in California made the opponents of the controversial Prop 23 happy. There were some bigwigs who raised voice against the measure including the director of Avatar, James Cameron and the Inception actor Leonardo DiCaprio. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger also did his beat and he said before the voting took place “The San Francisco Giants defeated the Texas Rangers tonight, just like California voters are going to defeat the attempts of dirty Texas oil companies to undo our clean energy laws at the polls tomorrow.” His prediction turned out to be true.
- It's now Professor Arnold Schwarzenegger! - Aug 03, 2012
- Prop 16 Fate Not Clear Yet - Jun 09, 2010
- Arnie dubs Congress members 'gutless wimps' for giving in to oil cos pressure - Oct 28, 2010
- Analysts feel that Mississippi personhood law goes too far - Nov 09, 2011
- Which are Delhi's good restaurants, asks Arnie - Feb 02, 2012
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Abhishek to receive award from Arnie - Feb 01, 2012
- Schwarzenegger fails to turn up at event to award Abhishek (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Schwarzenegger invokes Gandhi for green movement - Feb 02, 2012
- California Voters Renounce Proposition 19 To Legalize Pot - Nov 04, 2010
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- California Citizens Reject Proposition 19 - Nov 03, 2010
- Gay judge overturns California's same-sex marriage ban - Aug 05, 2010
- Schwarzenegger in talks for 'True Lies' sequel - Mar 23, 2011
- California Governor Schwarzenegger applauds lifting of ban against same-sex marriage - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: actor leonardo dicaprio, arnold schwarzenegger, avatar james cameron, bigwigs, california voters, clean environment, economic analysts, energy laws, george shultz, greenhouse gas reduction, impossible thing, james cameron, leonardo dicaprio, oil companies, recessionary times, republican governor, san francisco giants, saving the environment, texas oil, texas rangers