Promotion quota bill in Rajya SabhaSeptember 5th, 2012 - 2:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) A bill seeking to provide quota for promotion in government jobs was introduced in the Rajya Sabha Wednesday amid protests by the Samajwadi Party (SP) members and a minor scuffle between two members.
SP member Naresh Agarwal and Bahujan Samaj Party MP Avtar Singh Karimpuri physically pushed each other when the bill, which was approved by the union cabinet Tuesday, was introduced in the upper house by Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy.
After Deputy Chairman P.J. Kurien called the minister to table the bill, ruckus broke out in the house with the Samajwadi Party, which has been opposing the draft law in its present form, protesting vociferously.
Bharatiya Janata Party members, meanwhile, continued their protest demanding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation over coal blocks allocation.
Soon after the bill was introduced, the presiding officer adjourned the house till 2 p.m.
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Parliament disrupted, quota bill introduced (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- SP, BSP MPs scuffle over promotion quota bill (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Parliament crippled over coal blocks, quota bill introduced (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP, SP protests force parliament adjournment till Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Scuffles, brawls in parliament, state assemblies (Timeline) - Sep 05, 2012
- Trouble likely in quota bill passage, PM meets ministers - Sep 05, 2012
- Lokpal bill sent to select committee of Rajya Sabha (Second Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over coal block allocations (Roundup) - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: avtar singh, bahujan samaj party, deputy chairman, draft law, government jobs, kurien, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister of state, party members, presiding officer, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, promotion quota, quota bill, rajya sabha, ruckus, samaj, Samajwadi Party, union cabinet