Probe ordered into Punjab border area fund controversySeptember 21st, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 21 (IANS) Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has ordered a probe into the alleged embezzlement in border area grant in Punjab, a senior Congress leader said here Friday.
Congress MP from Gurdaspur Pratap Singh Bajwa, who met Shinde in New Delhi Thursday, said the home minister has directed union home secretary to conduct the probe in a time-bound manner.
Punjab’s Scheduled Castes/Backward Classes Welfare Minister Gulzar Singh Ranike, who was in-charge of border area development programme, was forced to resign earlier this month after the alleged involvement of his former aide in misappropriation of public funds disbursement was reported by media.
Ranike represents the border assembly seat of Attari. Attari, in Amritsar district, is famous for the land border joint check post on the international border between India and Pakistan.
Bajwa demanded that the misuse of border funds be probed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the country’s federal investigating agency.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has also ordered a vigilance inquiry into the embezzlement of funds.
“Although a vigilance probe is on and the minister concerned has also resigned, an independent agency like CBI should investigate the matter so that the truth comes out early and the culprits are punished,” Bajwa said.
He demanded that the central government also stop further grants to the Punjab government till the probe is on and order audit of all the centrally-sponsored schemes being run in the last five years in Punjab.
- Three Badal government ministers resign in six months (News Analysis) - Sep 18, 2012
- CBI charge sheet against Uttar Pradesh ex-minister - May 31, 2012
- Adarsh scam: CBI told to file report on Shinde, Deshmukh's role - Aug 03, 2012
- BJP motion on Assam violence rejected (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Orissa gets show cause notice from apex court - Dec 16, 2010
- Shinde meets Sushma over parliament impasse - Aug 23, 2012
- Deshmukh, Shinde being probed for Adarsh scam, says CBI - Jun 05, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Shinde summoned as witness - May 02, 2011
- Court directs CBI to probe Deshmukh, Shinde in Adarsh scam - Apr 27, 2011
- Shinde seeks united effort for Assam peace, BJP slams vote-bank politics (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: assembly seat, badal, bajwa, border area, central bureau of investigation, congress leader, embezzlement, gulzar, gurdaspur, home secretary, independent agency, india and pakistan, international border, investigating agency, land border, misappropriation, pratap singh, punjab government, sushilkumar shinde, union home minister