Probe on in Varun Gandhi posters in Gujarat cityMarch 30th, 2009 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Vadodara, March 30 (IANS) Civic officials in this Gujarat city are investigating reports of hundreds of posters of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) debutant leader Varun Gandhi appearing in a neighbourhood since Saturday night.
A team of senior officials from the Vadodara Municipal Corporation (VMC) visited Raopura area in the old city Monday morning to verify the reports.
An official of the VMC’s anti-encroachment squad, who accompanied the team, told IANS that they did find some of the posters in the area, but they bore no details about the publisher.
“The posters pledge support to Varun Gandhi. The residents of the area did not co-operate in telling us who had pasted these posters in the locality. However, we have ordered removal of all posters immediately,” the official said, adding the civic agency will be questioning local BJP legislator Yogesh Patel on the issue.
The VMC is empowered to investigate any report of violation of the model code of conduct within the municipal limits. The agency started the investigations after being tipped off that Patel had been a staunch supporter of Varun Gandhi’s mother and BJP MP Maneka Gandhi since the 1980s, the official said.
The investigation report of any violation of the poll code will have to be submitted to the state’s Chief Electoral Officer in Gandhinagar within a week for further action, he added.
The BJP legislator could not be contacted for comment.
- Minor killed in anti-encroachment drive - Jan 04, 2011
- Lucknow anti-encroachment drive protest turns violent - May 07, 2011
- Shutdown in Bodh Gaya against anti-encroachment drive - Aug 08, 2011
- Six cops injured in mob attack in Rajasthan - Aug 08, 2012
- Anti-encroachment drive in Bhopal sparks violence - May 21, 2011
- Violence breaks out Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Apex court slams civic officials for illegal constructions - Jun 01, 2011
- BJP MLA arrested in Rajasthan, granted bail - May 29, 2012
- Court seeks report on water-logging in Delhi - Aug 07, 2012
- Jharkhand Governor urged to stop anti-encroachment drive - Apr 01, 2011
- Ajit Pawar, Pune mayor get notices for violating poll code - Jan 06, 2012
- Sonia, Rahul to be invited for Varun's wedding: Maneka - Sep 27, 2010
- Six injured in clash between locals and cops in Bikaner - Mar 19, 2012
- BJP wrests Congress bastion in Gujarat (Second Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- Delhi cabinet clears bill to split MCD (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: 1980s, all posters, chief electoral officer, civic officials, encroachment, gandhinagar, gujarat, investigation report, janata party, legislator, locality, maneka gandhi, model code, monday morning, neighbourhood, pledge support, poll code, senior officials, vadodara municipal corporation, varun gandhi