Pro-Vidarbha activists halt train near NagpurDecember 14th, 2009 - 2:02 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Dec 14 (IANS) The old demand for carving out a separate state of Vidarbha from Maharashtra was intensified Monday when some activists stopped the Vidarbha Express near here.
According to a Central Railway official, around 200 activists of the Youth Front halted the Mumbai-Nagpur Vidarbha Express on the outskirts of the state’s second capital Nagpur by lying down across the railway tracks.
Railway authorities summoned the police who dispersed the protesters and the train proceeded on its onward journey after a delay of around 15 minutes.
“There was no violence of any kind or any damage due to the train-stopping incident,” a railway official told IANS.
At the same time, a few pro-Vidarbha legislators resorted to raising slogans for a separate state during the ongoing winter session of the state legislature here. Several pro-Vidarbha activists also demonstrated outside the assembly.
Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS) leader Kishor Tiwari said the struggle has been going on since 1958 for the region’s development and progress of over 2.8 crore people living here.
“The region has been exploited by successive state governments for its rich natural resources. While the rest of the state has progressed, Vidarbha is among the most backward regions in the country,” Said Tiwari.
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
- Vidarbha supporters to observe Maharashtra Day as Black Day - Apr 27, 2012
- Vidarbha shutdown total, trains stopped (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Vidarbha shutdown total, groups want statehood by Jan 28 (Second Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
- Statehood call shuts down Maharashtra's Vidarbha region - Jan 20, 2010
- Vidarbha, Telengana 'states' welcome motorists at border (With Images) - Jan 16, 2010
- Vidharba shutdown Thursday for farmers'demands - Dec 14, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra over farm suicides (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Farmers' suicides: Parliamentary panel to visit Vidarbha Friday - Mar 01, 2012
- Vidarbha farmers' group supports stir against toll collecion - Jun 17, 2012
- Vidharba woman who inspired Rahul Gandhi gives BJP the slip - Oct 19, 2011
- Parliamentary panel meets Vidarbha farmers - Mar 02, 2012
- Vidarbha farmers, widows to 'mourn' decade of BT cotton - Mar 25, 2012
- Cotton farmers' stir intensifies in Maharashtra - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: 15 minutes, activists, andolan, central railway, journey, kishor, legislators, mumbai, nagpur, outskirts, protesters, railway authorities, railway official, rich natural resources, slogans, state governments, state legislature, violence, vjas, winter session