Priyanka admires Sonia for becoming confident leader (Lead)April 16th, 2009 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) Priyanka Gandhi, daughter of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, said that she “really admires” her mother’s evolution into a confident leader and felt that her brother Rahul Gandhi has a “great vision for the country”.
On the campaign trail in Sonia Gandhi’s constituency of Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh Wednesday, Priyanka Gandhi told the CNN-IBN television channel that her mother was “doing a wonderful job”.
“I really admire her evolution,” Priyanka said, referring to her mother as a “shy person”.
“If I look at her today, she doesn’t need a paper to read (speech), to say what she needs. She makes decisions beautifully with advice from everybody.”
“I think she is doing a wonderful job,” she added.
Priyanka Gandhi said it was wrong to term her mother as an “enigma”. “Enigmas are really built around people who are sometimes very simple. People don’t understand that there can be simplicity in her,” she said.
Commenting on her brother, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka reiterated that he had the “qualities” to be the prime minister, but added that they were not fixated on him occupying the country’s top chair.
“His aim is to work for people. It is not to become prime minister, not to have a post and not to lead the government. So, if Rahul ends up becoming PM, wonderful. But if he doesn’t, it will mean the same thing for us,” she said.
Gandhi said her brother had “a great vision for the country”. She also referred to his “revolutionary” reforms in the youth wing of the party. “He is actually having free and fair elections in the Youth Congress… That is one thing every political party should do… political reform.”
On the absence of her brother from his constituency Amethi for campaigning, Priyanka Gandhi said, “Rahul doesn’t need to come as his work speaks for itself.”
On Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) raking up her mother’s Italian origins, Priyanka Gandhi said: “No, it really doesn’t matter what Modi thinks. Clearly the rest of India does not think like him. So, he should be in sync with the public.”
Priyanka Gandhi also spoke about her visit last year to a Tamil Nadu prison to meet Nalini, one of the people convicted for her father former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination.
Pointing out that she went there for “very personal reasons”, Priyanka Gandhi added, “Initially when I went, I felt the need to forgive. When I reached there, I realised that I was nobody to forgive, for she has suffered as much as I have.”
She believed that Nalini had also participated in the conspiracy not out of personal reasons, but out of her own suffering. “And I think that people… when they do such things, they do it out of suffering. They don’t do it out of an intention to hurt other people, they do it out of their own suffering.”
She said that the loss of a loved one was not that anybody came to terms completely.
On what her father would have thought of the family now, she said, “I sometimes wonder what he would think of it. He would be very very proud of my mother and brother. I do not know what he will think of me.”
- Priyanka admires Sonia's evolution into confident leader - Apr 15, 2009
- India can never forgive Prabhakaran: Priyanka Gandhi (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Rahul focussing on stronger Congress, not becoming PM: Priyanka Roundup) - Feb 06, 2012
- Sonia doing well, will be back soon: Priyanka - Aug 26, 2011
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Should I join politics, Priyanka asks rival parties - Feb 05, 2012
- Priyanka open to campaigning, 'anything to help' Rahul - Jan 17, 2012
- Pattinson moves out of Stewart's house? - Jul 27, 2012
- Priyanka ready to play bigger role in Congress (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Kristen Stewart turns to Gandhi for solace - Aug 23, 2012
- Rahul good enough to be PM but that's not his central aim: Priyanka - Feb 05, 2012
- Bal Thackeray targets Congress, Gandhi family - Sep 07, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Kelly Rowland wants to reunite with dad - Nov 19, 2011
- Small films bigger than Rs.100 crore grossers: Priyanka - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: amethi, bharatiya janata party, campaign trail, chief minister, cnn, cnn ibn, congress president sonia gandhi, constituency, general secretary, great vision, gujarat, narendra modi, New Delhi, priyanka gandhi daughter, rae bareli, rahul gandhi, shy person, television channel, uttar pradesh, youth congress