Private member’s bill dosen’t mean much, says KejriwalAugust 20th, 2011 - 1:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 20 (IANS) A day after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) parliamentarian Varun Gandhi said he will move the Jan Lokpal bill of Team Anna as a private member’s bill in parliament, Anna Hazare’s aide Arvind Kejriwal said it will just be symbolic in nature.
“The private member’s bill actually dosen’t mean much. It’s more symbolic in nature that the particular member supports the cause,” said Kejriwal, a member of Team Anna.
“I am told that the private member’s bill does not achieve much. Before this (Varun Gandhi’s attempt), the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) also had introduced the bill as a private member’s bill on March 27, and Rajiv Chandrashekhar (independent member from Karnataka) also introduced the bill a month back…so this is the third attempt,” he added.
Anna Hazare has been on fast since Tuesday to press the demand for a strong, anti-corruption Lokpal bill.
On Friday, Varun Gandhi said he would present the Jan Lokpal bill as a private member’s bill in the Lok Sabha, keeping in mind the huge support from the youths for Hazare.
“Our time starts now. I stand for the spirit of the legislation as an Indian. I hope this way I would be able to make a small contribution towards the legislative process,” said the young Pilibhit MP.
- PM ready for 'give and take' as Hazare continues fast (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Open to discussions on Lokpal, says PM as Hazare fast continues (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Attacks on Team Anna shameful: Varun Gandhi - Oct 23, 2011
- Congress neck deep in corruption: Maneka Gandhi - Aug 25, 2011
- Rajya Sabha members want stronger measures against graft - Aug 25, 2011
- It was Anna's decision to form a party: Kejriwal - Aug 12, 2012
- Listen to doctors, Delhi Police tells Team Anna - Aug 01, 2012
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- All-party meeting called on Lokpal as Hazare targets Congress (Roundup) - Dec 11, 2011
- Varun Gandhi to present Jan Lokpal as private member's bill - Aug 19, 2011
- Government, Team Anna hold talks, PM promises 'best possible' Lokpal bill (Intro Roundup) - Aug 23, 2011
- Anna to go on fast from July 29 on corruption (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Hazare's fast enters fourth day - Aug 01, 2012
- Anna Hazare arrives at MMRDA ground in Mumbai - Dec 27, 2011
- Team Anna seeks TDP's support for Lokpal bill - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, chandrashekhar, corruption, dosen, independent member, janata party, karnataka, legislative process, Lok Sabha, mp, New Delhi, parliament, parliamentarian, private member, rajiv, tdp, telugu desam party, third attempt, varun gandhi