Prithviraj Chavan sworn in Maharashtra chief minister (Lead)November 11th, 2010 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 11 (IANS) Former union minister Prithviraj Chavan was sworn in as Maharashtra chief minister and Ajit Pawar as deputy chief minister of the Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) government here Thursday.
Governor K. Sankaranarayanan administered them the oaths of office at the Raj Bhavan.
Chavan of the Congress party and Pawar, of the NCP, were accompanied by other senior leaders from both the alliance partners.
Nine other ministers from the NCP were also sworn in as ministers. These are: Chhagan Bhujbal, Vijaykumar Gavit, Manohar Naik, Jaydatt Kshirsagar, Jayant Patil, Ganesh Naik, R.R. Patil, Lakshmanrao Dhobale and Sunil Tatkare.
Earlier, Chavan, 64, was named leader of the Congress legislature party, paving the way for his becoming the chief minister.
Chavan replaces Ashok Chavan, whose resignation as chief minister was accepted by the Congress leadership following allegations of his involvement in Mumbai’s Adarsh housing society scam.
Ajit Pawar, nephew of NCP chief Sharad Pawar and a state minister, was named the next deputy chief minister after Chhagan Bhujbal, hours after the announcement of Chavan being chosen as the chief minister.
Pawar was elected as deputy chief minister by NCP legislators.
- Portfolios of Maharashtra ministers announced - Nov 19, 2010
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
- Ashok Chavan, 37 more ministers take oath in Maharashtra (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2009
- Ajit Pawar is Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Ajit Pawar to be new Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Ajit Pawar will be Maharashtra deputy chief minister - Nov 10, 2010
- Congress-NCP alliance forms government in Maharashtra for the second time - Nov 07, 2009
- State cabinet ministers swearing-in Thursday - Nov 17, 2010
- Maharashtra Cabinet expanded to 31 ministers - Nov 19, 2010
- Swearing in of Maharashtra ministers postponed to Friday - Nov 18, 2010
- Chavan stakes claim, swearing in Thursday (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- 15 leaders have been Maharashtra chief minister in 50 years - Nov 11, 2010
- Ajit Pawar denies rift with former Maharashtra Deputy CM Bhujbal - Nov 11, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan to stake claim - Nov 10, 2010
- Congress, NCP bicker in Maharashtra; Sena for central rule - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: adarsh, ajit pawar, alliance partners, ashok, bhujbal, congress leadership, congress legislature party, deputy chief minister, ganesh naik, housing society, manohar, nationalist congress party, ncp, oaths, paving the way, sharad pawar, state minister, sunil, union minister, vijaykumar